Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Surround speaker advice for tricky placement

Surround speaker advice for tricky placement

jorge-barajas
Community Member

I am looking to upgrade my current system, a 5.2.2 setup, to a 7.2.2 setup with the full size 1723 line. The only issue I have, currently, is placement of the right surround speaker. Based on the speaker dimensions of the 1723 surround I have enough room to mount the speaker in the spot highlighted. The ducting does present an issue, as it would block the left firing speaker of the dedicated surrounds. The ducting is only present on one side of the room. I’m not sure if it would be a better idea to use a bookshelf that is angled towards the seating row or to utilize the dedicated surround speaker mounted on the wall. Any input would be appreciated!

Attachments:

All replies (22)

Ramón T.
Hero

From what I see, I would mount the TriAxial, the largest firing is from the front and you have the option of removing the bridge to leave only the front sound of the speaker, in other words like a monopole

Fsm1th5
Community Member

They cannot be placed too high. Closer to ear level and this will solve your problem. Neither can they be placed in front of the listening position.

See the light switch to the right? That’s where they are best
<p style=”text-align: left;”></p>
You need a height difference between the surrounds and the ceiling speakers.

5.1.4 is highly recommended over 7.1.2

Have a review of the Dolby guidelines before you place the speakers out of spec. I’ll give you the maxium allowed. 0.7 times the floor to ceiling dimension. And up 25 degrees elevation from ear level 95-100 degrees is the range to place them.

I trust this is helpful to get you an accurate experience rather than a out of spec one.

Fernando Ayllón
Community Member

Don’t get too hung up on “by the book specs” specially is those are coming from the Dolby Home Guide…the studio one is a better start point. For more insight I recommend watching the HT Guru´s videos on the matter.

No professional installer or integrator will install surround/back speakers at ear level, most of them will use 10-20 degrees of elevation. That way you get a more diffuse sound field which is more desirable- by the way, the same reason you do not want an overly dead sounding room: spaciousness.

Also, if you have surrounds backs in the room,  slightly forward side surrounds are perfectly fine. Mines are at 85 degrees more or less, and 10 &15 degrees elevation (MLP is off-center)  and sound good to me: much better than in my two previous theatres where they were place by the book. I use 1961 heights that are 10 degrees slanted.

In fact, if your fronts are too far away, placing the side surrounds slightly in front of the MLP will reduce these gap. Large angles between the fronts and the sides surrounds are very annoying – that is why many people use front wides.

I agree on there 5.1.4 being preferable over the 7.1.2

Fsm1th5
Community Member

tell me somewhere officially from dolby that its okay to have the side surrounds in front of the listening position? ive only ever seen it done unofficially and the reason these guidelines exist is to help people with the placement questions.

this is not a case of placing speakers where its easy to install or where you want them to be placed.

i will say ive designed my new home theater room accordingly to the Dolby angle ranges.

Lukas
Customer Support

Hello Jorge,

Just wanted to follow up and check what you have decided.
Maybe you can include some more photos of the room.

As Fraser said it is not great having the side surrounds in front of the listener. This will mess up any panning effects.

Luis

Is it possible to move the couch to be better aligned?  What is the distance between the wall and the couch, is a mount that extends the speaker off the wall a possibility?

jorge-barajas
Community Member

Here are some additional photos of the problematic side of the room. Seating row distance to wall is roughly 2 ft on either side. Distance from viewing wall to seating is 10ft and from the 77″ TV it’s 9′ 3/4ft. Seating can be moved forward a bit but it feels too close, will eventually mount the TV to the wall so there may be more wiggle room. There is also a structural support beam that doesn’t allow seating any farther back, but allows the maximum amount of room for reclining.

Attachments:
Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Jorge,

I do not see a problem mounting the surround close to the light switches. That will but the speaker right in line with the listener’s ears.

jorge-barajas
Community Member

At this distance to the seating row, would it be preferable to use the smaller S surround speakers? I have made measurements for both the full sized and s surrounds, but I am at a crossroads and I’m worried the full sized surrounds would stick out a bit too much, blocking access. It would be easier to visualize with both speakers in person, but I’m not sure I would want to take too much advantage of the 60 day trial. What would you suggest? Thank you.

Luis

You could make templates out of cardboard and have someone hold them up to understand sizing.  It seems you’re in a smaller sized room, so I would go with the 1723 S due to their smaller size.  Is it possible to recess them into the wall?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club