Homepage / Community / Technical questions / 1723 HEIGHT S as in ceiling atmos speakers

1723 HEIGHT S as in ceiling atmos speakers

Hans Erik Sæbø
Super Hero

Hi.

Has anyone mounted a 1723 height S speaker in in the ceiling for atmos use? Any thought of that compared to actual in ceiling speakers from other brands? I’d like to go full Arendal, but I already have holes in the ceiling for a pair of atmos channels… Anyone got any input?:)

cheers:)

All replies (17)

laurence-chan
Community Member

I don’t think there would be any way to actually mount the 1723 Height S in the ceiling for Atmos.  I believe these are meant to be mounted higher up on wall, especially with the design of the wall mount itself.

Hans Erik Sæbø
Super Hero

hi. And Thanks for your reply!

do you think mounting them on the front wall as front atmos will be better than putting another pair of in ceiling ?

laurence-chan
Community Member

I personally think flush mount in-ceiling speakers that are correctly placed/aimed are the best option.  Height speakers such as the 1723 Height S can be almost as good and immersive if placed correctly on the side walls.  Your room is the biggest factor in all of this and pretty much dictates speaker placement for all speakers.

Hans, there is a way to mount the 1723 S up above the listening area. There is a you tube channel called Shane Lee. He has mounted those Arendal to the ceiling with an apparatus, one way to mount them is to get a 20X30 MDF plywood, drill the holes that will mount to the speakers then mount that to the ceiling. If that makes sense? Anything is possible just have to use some engineering to make it happen. But yes Laurence said it best in wall speakers are a way to go because its flush with the ceiling and nothing hanging.

laurence-chan
Community Member

With the Sept 1 increase, I decided to replace my SVS Prime Elevations heights with the 1723 Height S and broke down and ordered two days ago. Looks like the expected in-stock date for all of the out of stock speakers is Sept 5. While height speakers probably aren’t as important to be timbre matched, I decided I didnt want to be wishing later on that I had bought them when I had the chance.

I have also ordered four of these speaker wall mounts off Amazon, from the manufacturers store(K&M – Konig & Meyer) These mounts allow left to right movement and a 30degree tilt. This allows the height channels to be angled right at the listening area, especially in my situation where one side of my living room is open to the kitchen, so the front and back walls are the only mounting positions possible, especially with a stud that will need to support 25lb height speakers(not to mention that I already have pre-existing 12g speaker wire run behind the drywall).  Ideally I would prefer flush mount in-ceiling, but it would be extremely complicated(in my case) to accomplish this, so using these speaker wall mounts is my most optimal option.

https://www.k-m.de/en/products/speaker-lighting-and-monitor-stands-and-holders/speaker-wall-mounts/24471-speaker-wall-mount-black

Lukas
Customer Support

Hey Laurence. Did you order the adapter plate for the mount as well?
It is very important to distribute the forces over the whole speaker so the thread inserts do not rip out of the speaker.

laurence-chan
Community Member

Lukas, the website says the “complete VESA 100 kit”  is included, is this what you are referring to to? Or is this “adapter plate” something else I need to order as well?………..Laurence

laurence-chan
Community Member

So the VESA mount kit is only strong enough to support the 1723 Height S on a wall?…..and not from the K&M mount I linked to?  If so I’ll order the adapter plates as well.  I had planned on using the back plate on the VESA kit and attaching that to the K&M mount and front plate would be attached to the four VESA 100 screw positions.  If that won’t work I’ll order the K&M adapter plates.

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Laurence.

Our VESA100 mount is designed to work as a complete kit. On-wall and on the ceiling.
The plate that attaches to the speaker has no provision for the mount that you linked.

You will need to get a backplate that has the VESA100 spacing and work with the mount you ordered.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club