Homepage / Community / Technical questions / amp wattage / Reply To: amp wattage

Jim,

There is never a limit on too much power. There is a problem when you don’t have enough power. The question is are you going to reach reference level or play your speakers very low? I have two Crown XLi amps that output 500Watts @8Ohms and 750Watts @4Ohms now this might seem like a lot of power but I want to achieve maximum dynamics. If you want to best headroom and no distortion then yes go with a high powered amp. If you are listening at low volume then go with the 250Watts @8Ohms. Its really on what your listening needs are to be honest. I used to have the Emotiva XPa3 gen 2’s and they had 225Watts @8Ohms and 350Watts @4Ohms and they were fine but they couldn’t play as loud as the crowns. However they didn’t have as much dynamics to drive my 1723’s THX’s. Happy Listening!

Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club