Homepage / Community / Technical questions / 1961 Surrounds Placement

1961 Surrounds Placement

Hani Alzahrani
Community Member

Hi all,

According to a support article and to the 1961 manual, the 1961 surrounds are advised to be configured in a specific order. I have read in a forum that this is true for the 1723 surrounds but not true for the 1961 surrounds. In that forum, the owner of the 1961 surrounds was saying that the 1961 pair are identical and there is no mark to identify each speaker as left and right by any means.

I checked the 1961 and the 1723 manuals and both advise configuring the speakers based on the left and right specific speakers.
<p style=”text-align: center;”>I am sure that this applies to the 1723 surrounds since a friend of mine owns them. Can someone please confirm if this applies to 1961 as well?</p>

All replies (9)

Mariusmssj
Hero

I am quite sure that for 1961 it does not matter as both speakers in the box are identical.

This would only make a difference if the surrounds could be set-up as di-pole or bi-pole which 1961 don’t have that option to switch.

Hani Alzahrani
Community Member

The following is from 1961 manual:

“The reason for the left and right specific speakers is that the side mounted drivers in this TriAxial surround are mounted out of phase with each other, is to create a large, rear surround field. The side driver that is in phase with the front mounted drivers, needs to be the one pointing at the front speakers for optimal surround effect placement and steering. This means that the TriAxial surrounds are mirror image pairs.”

I have contacted Arendal support to confirm whether the 1961 surround are left and right specific as the manual says or if they are identical.

Will update the article once I get a confirmation.

John Mears
Community Member

I also would like to know this. Please follow up with the guidance you received back from Arendal so we can all be properly informed. Thanks.

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

Hey guys,

1961 Surrounds have to be utilized just like the 1723 Surrounds. There is a left and a right speaker inside the box, you can check it on the label attached to the rear of the speaker. These are also TriAxial speakers, meaning the full range drivers on each side are connected in Dipole to each other so meaning you get different phases on the left side of the speaker vs the right side of the speaker.

Luis Vazquez

It’s certainly labeled, I removed my serial number from the photo.  :)

Attachments:
John Mears
Community Member

Thanks for the follow up. I saw that once I removed them from the wall. Switched them and noticed an improvement immediately.

Adam J
Hero

Oh man, I totally missed this and have my side surrounds flipped. The Dirac measurements look great though as is. @thomasglsound-no, do you think Dirac is correcting this or should I switch them? If I do switch them, do you think I can get away without re-running Dirac?

Attachments:
Luis Vazquez

It couldn’t hurt to rerun Dirac… save the current settings and if you don’t like what Dirac captures the second time around, you can always apply what you had.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.