Homepage / Community / Ideas / New center channel

New center channel

Hans Erik Sæbø
Super Hero

Hi!

Wouldn’t a wider and maybe lower center channel with maybe 4x 8inch woofers -like in the towers – be very interesting? Speaking for myself, I’d love for that to happen!

All replies (14)

Keith Luken
Community Member

I would prefer a true 3 way center. Since the 1723 center is identical to the monitor and performs so well what gains would a 4 x 8 woofer set up be? What they need to do is sell the 1723 a single for those that have either acoustic transparent screens or that want the 3 front stage speaker to be identical. Some reviews point out the mids are a tad laid back, likely due to the large woofer handing the mid range. Keep in mind if they did a massive center it would weight 111lbs. just like the tower.

Lukas
Customer Support

We do sell the Monitors/Bookshelfs (not for 1961 though) and Towers separately so you can go with three identical speakers in the front. Also, the Center is identical to the Monitors, only the logo and backplate are different.

A three-way center would not necessarily be better. It has all its advantages and disadvantages.
A big 8″ driver doing the midrange has a different impact and authority than a small 4″ most companies use.
I would not say that our midrange is laid back. We even have had customers saying it sounds too direct.
With an 8″ midrange and the waveguide on top, the center would look very strange and would be too tall to place under a TV.
Also 4×8″ would look cool, but would have very little gain on the Center as it will be most likely crossed over at 80Hz.

There will be always compromises in every design, there is not just one right path.

Brian May
Community Member

Honestly the only other design that would be a decent center is making a three way with a small mid mounted vertically with the tweeter in the center. I unfortunately you would be able to use the VERY cool tweeter waveguide die tk space constraints. Unless you guy did what Perlisten did and incorporate a could small mids into the waveguides. Multiple woofer centers are always a disaster. And I’m sure Arendal knows this. Off axis sound is abismal.

Brian May
Community Member

Sorry about all the typos above. I’m used to posting something, then hitting edit and fixing typos. Unfortunately I can’t do that for some reason. So here is a fixed post:

Honestly the only other design that would be a decent center is making a three way with a small mid mounted vertically with the tweeter in the center. Unfortunately you wouldn’t be able to use the VERY cool tweeter waveguide due to space constraints. Unless you guys did what Perlisten did and incorporate a couple small mids into the waveguides. I wonder if that design is patented? Multiple woofer centers are always a disaster. And I’m sure the guys at Arendal know this. Off axis sound is abismal.

Keith Luken
Community Member

From what I have read (and I am not an expert) the MTM thing is only an issue if you get off axis (as you mentioned). For me, it is just the 2 of us and she does not care. I set everything up to my listening position so I am not as concerned. At first I refused to look at anything that was not a true 3 way design and realized I was leaving out some really good speaker choices. Each person needs to decide what is important to them. That said I hope some day Arendal does true 3 way towers and center. In the meantime I would prefer real ceiling speakers as the next up option.

Matthew Lavallee
Community Member

Great topic, I am also looking at Center Channels, just purchased the 1961 1V and can’t wait to implement.  I have a wider sitting area, is a 3 way a must for consistent sound across all sitting area?  Thanks!

laurence-chan
Community Member

This video on “Erin’s Audio Corner” is quite informative on center channels.

laurence-chan
Community Member

I have a couch(MLP) that seats 4 adults comfortably, I don’t have any off-axis measurements for the 1723 Center THX, but I don’t get any complaints from friends on movie nights, about not being able hear voices clearly.  I can say this center channel in my setup is at a minimum excellent out to at least 30degrees off-axis and probably even more.

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

Adding more woofers will certainly make it able to have more output at lower frequencies. Is that something you guys would generally consider paying extra for?

As for the 2-way vs 3-way discussion, it would make the center sound like a different speaker if we add a small midrange and skip the waveguide – you will lose the timbre matching between the speakers. As I see it, if you are placed beyond 30 degrees from the center, not only will you have a suboptimal sound from the center speaker, but from all channels in the cinema anyways, as you will be much closer to the right or left side vs the opposite..

With the waveguide design and our low crossover point we are reducing the issues considerably off-axis compared to a conventional tweeter without waveguide crossed over to a midwoofer.

laurence-chan
Community Member

Thomas,  I personally am enamored with the 1723 Center THX.  Thank you for pointing out what changes would do to the design.  This center channel is absolutely fantastic with “dialogue” up to 30 degrees off-axis, so I’m one of those that wouldn’t change a thing.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club