All replies (15)

laurence-chan
Community Member

If you have them both on hand, what, if any, differences are you hearing?  I don’t think you can go wrong with either, but I’d think you’d have way more headroom with the XPA-DR3.  I’d be curious what your thoughts are.

Keep in mind that the parasound amps tend to run really hot, My friend owned one and he had to get a separate fan to keep them cool. The Emotiva DR3 is the way to go because its fully differential.

Hans Erik Sæbø
Super Hero

I only got the dr3 at my house atm, so I won’t be able to do a side by side test. But the peoe

who have compared them

says that parasound is warm and emotiva is cold.

I haven’t been able to set up my system yet, but I will soon. Then I can give my thoughts on the dr3. Should be plenty of power and to a much lower price than parasound.

I’ve heard parasound run hot… has to have something to do with that class A part of the amplifier. I have an infinity fans, but I haven’t really needed them for emotiva previously.

yes the dr3 is fully differential, but to fully take advantage of that you need a fully differential prepro as well right? I just bought the anthem avm70, and that’s not fully differential

laurence-chan
Community Member

I’ve compared them as well, and at normal listening levels, I would have a hard time in a true blind testing picking out either one consistently.  Repeating someone else’s experiences is just that, someone else’s.  Remember this hobby is highly subjective, so allow your own ears to define what is pleasing. I personally find Emotiva amplifiers to be quite neutral and simply pass the signal from your sources and pre-amp stages to your speakers.  In other words, very source revealing.  Keep which amplifier your ears prefer and move on to enjoying your home theater.  Realistically, your room(acoustics and treatments) and speakers will make the most audible differences in what you will be hearing, amplifiers to a much lesser degree.

Lukas
Customer Support

I can absolutely confirm what Laurence said.

When I worked at a HiFi shop I would get absolutely contradicting responses from customers when it comes to amps.
It is very room and speaker depended and of course, personal preference.

So to be 100% sure you would have to test it in your system.
I personally would not switch out the Emotiva for the Parasound.

Gunnar Aasen
Customer Support

Hi Hans Erik,

I have a hunch you decided to go for something different here.. please share with us if you feel this is of interest to the community!

Hans Erik Sæbø
Super Hero

Hi Gunnar!

You are absolutely right! I followed my OCD and decided to pair my new Anthem avm 70 with 2 Anthem MCA525 and one Anthem MCA325🙈🙈 now my budget is blown and I’m sitting here with a brand new Emotiva XPA-DR3🙈🙈 any takers?:p

Gunnar Aasen
Customer Support

Ah! This is going to be a very nice setup indeed!

The Anthems are among our absolute favorites! Getting the full potential out of our speakers and have a really amazingly good room correction! Highly recommended!

Should not be too hard to get rid of the DR3 though.. Good luck Hans Erik!

Yeah those Anthem amps are going to be your shine in the sky because you have them paired with the Anthem AVM-70. I also have an Emotiva Im getting rid of too. Lol I am waiting on the new Marantz Cinema 40 that just announced, its a heavy price at $7K but it does 16.4 with all the bells and whistles.

Hans Erik Sæbø
Super Hero

I really hope so!:):)

you can go Anthem avm90 and accomplish the same thing? No, that’s 15.4?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club