Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Processor/Receiver Crossover Settings?

Processor/Receiver Crossover Settings?

Laurence Chan
Community Member

I just purchased the 1723 Tower THX fronts and a 1723 Center THX today.  I’ve been reading the 1723 THX Series Handbook and all of its recommendations.  What I don’t see in the “Handbook” are recommended starting points for crossover settings for both the towers and center.  So what are recommended crossover settings for completely “Sealed” as well as completely “Ported” for the 1723 Tower THX fronts, and what is the recommended crossover setting for the 1723 Center THX?  Assuming I really like this front stage, I’ll be purchasing the 1723 Bookshelf S THX for side/back surrounds, so what is the recommended crossover for these bookshelfs?  Thanks for everyone’s input.

All replies (12)

Rene Paulus
Community Member

The best crossover setting is 80hz (THX)

Brandon
Customer Support

Hi Laurence,

Those are some good questions. A good starting point as Rene pointed out above is 80Hz. Depending on how your room is treated and the normal room response (modes) and the type of subwoofers you use will ultimately decide where you will end up. The Towers, if run with no subwoofers, can be fully ported and can be run as “Large” with High Pass set around 60 Hz will have those sounding really nice for 2-channel.

Running everything sealed, 80 Hz is the THX standard.

Have fun trying different setups and remember ultimately, its what combo sound best to you in your space. You can use response curves for reference, the tailoring to your ear is the most important thing here. The linear response and off-axis response of the 1723 series just makes it easier to EQ and tailor to your taste.

Have a good one!

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Laurence,

Renes and Brandons replies are absolutely spot on.

I just wanted to add a personal example. On the weekend I was listening to our 1723 Bookshelf S and before that, I had the 1723 Monitor, Towers, etc. It basically never made a difference what speaker and what port configuration I was using, the best crossover in my room is 90Hz. I measured this. Plugging the ports smoothed out things a bit but did not change the crossover.

If you can get yourself a USB mic and REW and start measuring, to be 100% sure.

Laurence Chan
Community Member

Gentlemen thanks for the informative replies. Rene pointed out the obvious, which I’ll admit, while “THX” is in the model #’s, I wasn’t even thinking “THX” and it’s standard 80Hz setting, I was just focusing on the frequency responses for “sealed” and “ported”.

Brandon, I’m really wanting to start off with the 1723 Towers “sealed” since I’ve got dual SVS PB12-Plus subwoofers, thus the THX 80Hz standard.  Thanks for returning my call this afternoon, and answering my questions.  I do appreciate it and it’s nice to know that customer service is alive and well!!!

Lukas,  I’ve got a UMIK-1 and I predominantly use it for Dirac.  I did however initially buy it years ago for setting up P-EQ with REW, so I’ll have to brush up on REW and download the latest version.  I’m very much so looking forward to getting acquainted with the 1723 THX Towers and 1723 Center, and I have no doubt that I’ll be shortly ordering the 1723 Bookshelf S for back/side surrounds.  I’m aiming for a seemless sound field and I believe the Arendal 1723 series speakers will do just that.

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Laurence. This will be an awesome system. Just take your time and try as many setups as possible. They can have a great impact on the sound.

Laurence, I personally use the ThX standard at 80Hz, when I first had my system I ran about 40Hz because my subs weren’t powerful enough and set those subs at 120Hz by bypassing them. But since I’ve upgraded my subs 80Hz is best in my system.

Laurence Chan
Community Member

Thanks Orion,  I’ll be starting out with 80Hz as well as I have very capable subwoofers.  I got tracking yesterday from Brandon letting me know my 1723 Towers and Center are scheduled for delivery this Friday.  So I’ll be getting to break them in and play soon enough.

Lukas
Customer Support

Hey Carlos. Thank you for the link to Home Theater Gamer. It is actually a very well-structured tutorial. Definitely worth a watch.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.