Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Do I need to gain match two (different) subwoofers?

Do I need to gain match two (different) subwoofers?

Vidar Hoel
Community Member

I have two subs: 1723 Subwoofer 1.5 (legacy) and 1723 Subwoofer 1S. To make them a bit more alike, I have plugged the 1.5 model.

They are both connected to a MiniDSP 2×4 HD, and I am now in the process to calibrate them. Almost all tutorial videos and HOWTOs agree that it’s important to gain match the subs. But my question is if that’s necessary for me? Can’t I just select “Ref level” on “Bass Level”? Will that make both subs have the same level/gain/bass, even if they are different in size and power?

(Match gain means that if I put both subs on the same position and orientation in the room, one after the other, they will have the same output-power)

All replies (1)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Vidar,

I personally never understood why so many people recommend this step.
As long as your room is not 100% symmetrical in every possible way you will have to level-match the subwoofers anyway.

So you can skip this step place the subwoofers in their designated location and level-match them in your listening position.

With two different designs of subwoofers, you will have to tweak the sound even more so they play as one homogeneous unit.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club