Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Level Subwoofer

Level Subwoofer

Ramón T.
Hero

Hi, I have a question regarding the level of the subwoofer, although I have an Anthem with ARC I do not use it, so I adjust the levels with sonometer.

The LFE channel in the movies has a +10dbs so I read in recommendations that the sub 10 dbs is calibrated less than the rest to level it.

In the rooms of Arendal Sound to what level do you adjust it?

Thank you

All replies (6)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Roman,

You have to differentiate between LFE and bass-managed signals going to the subwoofer.
The internal test tone of most AVRs is designed to have all speakers on the same level. (or a bit more, personal preference)
It then automatically adjusts LFE levels, so you definitely do not need to turn down the subwoofer.

There were some AVRs/Processors in the past (beginning of the 2000s) that did not do that or had bugs, but now it is pretty much standard.

Ramón T.
Hero

So the ideal is to leave them all at the same level?

So do you do in your rooms?

Ramón T.
Hero

Lukas the doubt arose precisely because of what you say, that you have to differentiate the normal channels of the LFE I thought they would stay lower or higher.

Lukas
Customer Support

That is all handled by the AVR/Processor.

You just calibrate for equal levels, add maybe a house curve or more db to your liking, and you are done.

No need to worry about the rest.

Ramón T.
Hero

Yes, that’s what I do, but I had that doubt, thanks

Lukas
Customer Support

No worries Ramon. It can be confusing sometimes. There were also some movies in the past that were wrongly mixed, so this was an issue back in the day.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club