Homepage / Community / Hangout / Project Caviar

Project Caviar

Ben Salfarlie
Community Member

Hi Everyone,
What do you think of Google’s new royalty-free open media platform, project caviar? Do you think it has the potential to rival Dolby?

All replies (2)

Luis

Although it seems that they are targeting YouTube or possibly YouTube TV, since Google has a stronghold on the OS for streamers and TVs, from a visual perspective, I can see Caviar competing and or even replacing Dolby Vision due to licensing costs; however, from an audio format perspective, I’ll need to better understand required speaker placement.  I can see Caviar being competitive with Dolby outside of the Google ecosystem; however, if they stop at YouTube or YouTube TV, then not sure how attractive it would be.

Kristoffer Svendsen
Customer Support

Competition like this is always good in my eyes. Even if the project itself doesn’t succeed, it will most likely push the existing brands to further innovate and improve their existing products. But, this is Google, and they tend to be quite good at this stuff, so I doubt it will fail. Also: Since Google has a footing in a lot of areas, I imagine support for the codecs will be easy to obtain through downloads or firmware upgrades. Exciting for sure!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club