Homepage / Community / Technical questions / 1961 towers vs 1723s Monitor

1961 towers vs 1723s Monitor

Ricardo Lerias
Community Member

Hello everybody!

I’m starting in the new world of speakers and i need some help, forgetting the necessary space.

I am undecided between the 1961 towers and the 1723S monitor because they have both the same price.

As I really like bass, I’m thinking buying a subwoofer as well.

As I shouldn’t be able to place speakers on the ceiling, I wonder if I can place height/atmos speakers above the monitors or is it only possible on top of the towers?

Thanks a lot for your help.

All replies (7)

Luis

Hello Ricardo… I own the 1961 towers, center, surrounds, heights and a 1v subwoofer.  I was also torn between the 1723s and 1961 series and after chatting with Kristoffer and Lukas from Arendal, they both recommended the 1961 line due to the size of my room.  Attached is a picture prior to hiding the surround speaker cable.  The 1961 heights are temporarily sitting on top of the towers as I’m waiting for my friend to help me mount them to the ceiling.

Can you let us know the size of your room?

In case you haven’t seen this yet, here’s a recent review of the 1961 towers:

https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/arendal-1961

Attachments:
Ricardo Lerias
Community Member

Hello Luis and thanks in advance for your help.

My room is 6 meters by 4.5 meters.

I plan to use two front speakers, two height speakers, a center, a subwoofer and two surround speakers at back.

I am undecided between the 1961 towers and 1723S monitors because they have the same price. The height speakers I don’t intend to put on the ceiling or wall and I’ll prefer to put them on the top of the towers. On the other hand, I think that for the price the 1723S monitors are better, but I can’t put the height columns on top and they need support, getting practically the same dimensions as the towers.

My questions are:

– Can I place the height speakers on top of the monitor speakers?
– If you don’t consider room size, what is better – 1961 towers or 1723S monitors?
– It’s a good choice to mix series 1961 and 1723?

Thanks a lot for your help and patience.

Attachments:
Luis

My humble opinion, the different lines are not “better” than one another, simply options at different price points to help meet a users budget.  They all share the same build quality, the tweeters, for example, are the same, except the 1961 uses a different magnet to meet their price point.  They are voiced similarly.  Both 1723 lines will have the ability to get “louder” due to larger drivers / cabinets; however, the 1961 line is not in anyway inferior.  It’s all based on your requirements and room size plays an important part as you need to fill and pressurize the room.  As you go up the lines you purchase larger more capable speakers to drive your theater with more dynamics; however, you need to decide for yourself, based on your listening habits, what you feel is required.

Yes, you can mix 1961 and 1723s; for instance use the 1961 surrounds and heights for budgetary reasons.  I probably wouldn’t mix 1961 and 1723, but I’m sure Arendal will comment.

The 1961 heights will not fit on top of the 1961 monitors; I can’t comment on the 1723s or 1723 height / monitor fitment; however, you might be able to place the 1961 heights on the 1723s monitors.

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

I think Luis gave a great reply to this one, are you secretly working for us? :)

As for mixing between the series, that is no problem at all, they are built with lots of the same design language in mind, and that reflects in their sound as well. There are some differences obviously with smaller-sized drivers, but we have many customers mixing between the series with great results. With that said, to get a perfectly uniform sound from all speakers, they need to be in the same range.

1961 Height speakers on top of 1961 Tower is a perfect fit, but will not look good on top of the 1723 Monitor S at all. As for 1723 Height S, they are not intended to be on top of a speaker and should be mounted on wall or ceiling.

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Ricardo.

As always this will be a personal preference.

I for example love to have my front three speakers identical so I would choose the 1723 Monitor S and Center S instead of the 1961 Towers. Also, I have some annoying room modes so I have to run a crossover of 90Hz to get a good result in the bass, with perfectly placed subwoofers. I have no real benefit in choosing a Tower speaker.
You see the room pretty much dictated what makes sense.

Differences-between-1723-1723-S-1961-Speakers

The 1961 Height will fit on top of a 1723 Monitor S but will look totally out of place. The 1723 Height S is not designed to be placed on top of speakers.

@Luis

The tweeters in 1961 and 1723 are not the same. They have the same shape though. You correctly pointed out the difference in the magnet.

Lukas
Customer Support

@Thomas

Posted exactly at the same time:)

Luis

@Lukas – thanks for the clarification!

@Thomas
– thanks and I wish… it would be a dream come true to work @ Arendal!!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club