Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Recommended amp for 1961? 4 ohm

Recommended amp for 1961? 4 ohm

Johan Svedjefält
Community Member

Hello everybody .

I’m about to build a 1961 series HT and have a Marantz sr6007. Currently used as a pre amp with Genelec 8030c in a 3.2 setup. I got two 1961 1961 1s subs.

So, if I buy 3 1961 monitors what are the recommended amp? Its 4 ohm so I guess my sr6007 aren’t gonna cut it. But I can still use it as a pre amp. So what do you sound gods say?

I know it depends on…..

But let’s say cheap to expensive suggestions!:)

Best

Johan

All replies (9)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Johan,

Basically, every AVR out there will handle 4Ohm speakers.
The Marantz SR6007 delivers 5x100Watts plus, and 2x160Watts into 4Ohms.

That is plenty if you only use 3 channels and have them crossed over at 100Hz to the subwoofers.

If you listen super loud, then maybe an external amp can sound a bit better, but I personally would try it as is first.

JC
Community Member

Hey Johan

I’m new to my 1961 towers (purchased last Nov) and initially powered them by my wife’s hand-me-down NAD C 320BEE, a very capable integrated driving her Focals, not so much with the Arendals.

I decided on a Schiit Ragnarok with a BludeSound Node (USB, FLAC) as the source.

I’m only a couple weeks in with the new configuration, and while the sound certainly leans away from the warmer side, the capability…

Ed Sheeran’s I See Fire and Tristan Prettyman’s Say Anything are spooky, spooky good. Q Lazzarus’ Goodbye Horses has an impact I don’t think I’ve heard before. And for party mode, Depeche Mode’s Happiest Girl remix easily hits reference levels.

The Ragnarok never flinches, in any way. Neither do the 1961s.

This system is astonishingly good for (enter metric).

Luis

Hello Johan… welcome!

I’m using a Marantz Cinema 50 to drive the 1961 center, towers, surrounds and heights within my room; I also have two 1961 1v subs.  I’ve had this system since late October / Early November 2022 and thus far I’m extremely happy with my decisions and yes, based on my listening habits, I feel I have plenty of power.

My room is on the smaller side, but it is a dedicated space for HT… it’s 10’11” x 15’7″ with 10′ ceilings.  The room has various acoustic panels from GiK.  I would go with the Marantz 6007 and if needed, worry about more power after you spend some time with the system.

Enjoy and keep us posted!

Johan Svedjefält
Community Member

Hi, thx for all help and tips. I have no problem driving my setup but I purchased a ext amp and just use the Marantz as a pre amp. Wow, what a difference! Night and day. I think I found my way.

This is the way.

Lukas
Customer Support

As long as you are happy, that is the most essential part.
We always recommend trying it out before spending the money.

Palmspar
Community Member

I have the 1961 monitors, center, heights, and surrounds, on a denon 3400x with the crossover at 80hz.

The denon has 80 watts with 5 speakers, and maybe 70watt or so with 7.

Lukas
Customer Support

@Jurgen

The Denon has over 100 watts in 5 channels and around 80 with 7 channels at 4 Ohm.

Palmspar
Community Member

@Lukas

More watts is always better, but it works perfect.

I use room corection only under 500hz, great sounding system!

Johan Svedjefält
Community Member

Hi again my friends!

Thanks for all the input. Always nice to get new ideas and feedback. I hear you all. I understand what you’re saying and I understand why you are saying it. I just needed a reminder and an update. Its been a while, family got in the way of the dream, haha. But the idea is still the same. And the effort to get there still the same I hear. Ueah truth is that avrs doesn’t sound that good if it isn’t a very good one. My Marantzs preamp is quite good so a amp for power was just perfect. But the amps inside didn’t do justice to the speakers. I have been trying out Anthem, omg the difference!

So I know what I’ll have to do Hahaha.

Thx again for the help guys. And your positive spirit to help.

Best

Johan

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club