Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Which is better for stereo imaging and soundstage?

Which is better for stereo imaging and soundstage?

mohammad-addas
Community Member

Hello,

For stereo listening, which speaker is better with respect to imaging precision and soundstge width: the 1723 Tower S THX (4×6.5 inch drivers/2.5 way) or the 1723 Monitor THX (2×8 inch drivers/2 way)? The tower design makes me wonder why Arendal chose to go with 2.5 way instead of 3 way?

All replies (12)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Mohammad,

the 1723 Tower S, has basically the 1723 Monitor S on top.
That means that is pretty much the same thing as the 1723 Monitor just with smaller bass drivers.

There is no real difference in terms of soundstage and imaging precision between the 1723 and 1723 Series S.
But there are a few differences in sound though. Not much but you can hear it in a direct comparison.
The 1723 Series S is a little more forgiving in the upper midrange, whereas the 1723 Series is a little more direct.

To have a consistent sound through the range the Tower speakers build upon the Monitors, which is why it is a 2.5-way design. 3 way is not necessarily better. There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages to both designs and you have to make compromises in either way.
You have to remember that both drivers flanking the tweeter are playing the midrange. That is a lot of surface area, that basically no 3-way with a dedicated midrange design can match. That means a lot less distortion and much higher SPL capabilities for even better dynamics.

mohammad-addas
Community Member

Thank you Lukas for replying.

The tweeter kicks in around 1.5 kHz according to the crossover setting so you mean the 1723 monitors will have a more direct sound in the range of 1kHz to 1.5 kHz compared to the 1723 S towers? And everything else is the same.

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Mohammad,

It is due to the size of the drivers, that they will radiate a little differently in the mids to upper mids.

carlos-rafael-belizon-ibanez
Community Member

If it is of any assitance to you Mohammad,

I think the basic difference between the 1723S and 1723 series is that the “in-room” response of the 1723 series is more detailed, that basically makes the speakers a little bit more bright, this the frequency response of my 1723 towers in my room (See attached file)

There is a little raise on the frequency response from the 1.5khz range, which to me, at least is pleasant, it reveals more “information” on the spectrum where our ears are more sensitive, indeed, for example on the introduction of Dune, I can strongly hear the bass on the voices but I can also hear the “spice” on the air coliding with the dunes, which was something that you probably would struggle to hear on a speaker that does not have this “natural” in-house response.

Attachments:
mohammad-addas
Community Member

Thank you Carlos for sharing your experience. When comparing the 1723 Tower S with the 1723 Monitor it is tempting to lean toward the 4×6.5 inch drivers of the towers since they are equivalent to two 9 inch drivers which seems better than the 2×8 inch drivers of the monitor. But from the comments I read the 1723 monitors with their 8 inch drivers will probably give more details and forward sound which appeals to me more.

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Mohammad,

You have to remember that the two top woofers on the Tower are full range and the bottom drivers are only there for the deep bass. So with a subwoofer in place, the difference will not be that big.
I would not say, that the 1723 Series has more details than the 1723 Series S. It is just a slightly different presentation.

mohammad-addas
Community Member

Yes, clear. Thank you Lukas.

I have 3 Arendal subs so things are in favour of the monitors still.

Lukas
Customer Support

Okay, then definitely Monitors.

brian-w
Community Member

Late to this chat, just catching up! For anyone who finds this later, my thoughts. I can’t compare the 1723s vs 1723. I have the 1723 floor standing speakers. I wanted max ability to adjust/change my sound over time or with different content. I do cross them at 6O hz in my room for theater/movies to subs. Recently, I have done a lot of listening to these towers on their own, 2channel,  full range, no eq, pure direct clean sound. I use some parasound amps, and treated my room /walls & ceiling. I am so very impressed with this floor standing speakers. They deliver. So solid in the mids, wonderful. Perfectly blended in the highs and the low/bass frequencies, to my ear and tastes. I truly love, LOVE listening to these towers with music on their own, no subs, no surround. A sincere thank you and appreciation to Arendal for these speakers and their entire line. 1723s vs 1723, monitor vs tower. My thought: Buy and try the most speaker for your use case. I love full atmos with music and movies. Many nights I find myself wanting to strip it down and listen to the staging of amazing 2 channel, the towers deliver it all, if you need it. This is my use case.  One more thank you to Arendal, amazing sound, amazing value.

arkmann

Brian I agree on the 1723 towers.  I had the 1723S towers but decided to upgrade to the 1723 towers.  Then added one and now 2 subs moving to a 2.2 system and it sounds fantastic.  The bass was fine without the subs but once I heard the subs I’ll never go back.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club