Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Limiting room EQ frequencies

Limiting room EQ frequencies

Mariusmssj
Hero

Hi all :)

Have any of you tried liming the room EQ frequencies on your setups?

When I first got my Arendal speakers I was really disappointed as I was expecting them to sound MUCH better than my at the time Q Acoustics speakers that I had. I was also using Denon 2600H, but when I got the Arendal speakers I upgraded to Denon 4700H with Audyssey XT32.

What I later discovered was the fact that Audyssey XT32 was doing way too much correction above ‘Schroeder’ frequency (room transition frequency) which in my case was 400Hz (I attached my frequency responses for those interested).

So once I limited the room correction to only go up to 400Hz the speakers transformed and sounded much much better. Which in my previous case was exactly what happened with Denon 2600H since its room correction had far fewer filters it would apply.

I would welcome others to give it a go and see how it goes.

Attachments:

All replies (16)

This my before and after my Auydessy calibration. I also use REW software to fine tune the frequencies if that helps.

Im using Marantz AV-8805 separate to my Emotiva XPA-3 rated at 250Watts per channel into a 8ohm load.

Attachments:
Mariusmssj
Hero

Using the app give it a go and limit the EQ I would say 300Hz – 500Hz is the norm for most rooms

Oh so basically a Curtain? Yeah I’ve done that before, it does sound good. Thanks for the follow up. I’ll run some tests and give it a go.

Mariusmssj
Hero

Yep a curtain, I found it really helped to make the speakers a lot more dynamic

Philip Channell
Community Member

Hi everyone how great is this! Love the community. I’m experimenting with this at the moment and working towards an external amp for my fronts. But it crossed my mind what do you do on the sub ? Keep filters or curtain to zero ?

Mariusmssj
Hero

I would not add a curtain on the sub, just keep as the receiver did the EQ. The curtain is only applicable to the main speakers

Johan Svennevig
Community Member

hi all! my first post here..

I’ve tried various figuration on my set up with my Marantx sr7011 and the Audessey app..

Both limiting and full band calibration with 8 points, DEQ and MRC has its advantages and disadvantages..

I´ve also tried to make my own bass/sub curve which is the same all through the MV in difference to the DEQ which makes up for lacking bass on lower volumes.

that said my own curves ended up being boomy and not at all so tight and powerful as the DEQ..

I’m actually going to try limiting the room correction the next days AND use the DEQ to see if that could be the best combo yet..

Johan, set the curtain around 600Hz and let Audyseey handle the rest, see if that works if not I would recommend downloading REW software and run a sweep. Find out where the nulls and peaks are hindering your speakers. I also would recommend adding distance in the receiver to get the nulls out

Mariusmssj
Hero

Yep I agree with Orion on this one. Once thing to note that to use the REW you’ll need to buy a special microphone. The most commonly used one is called UMIK-1

Audyssey app doesn’t truly door your actual response, the post graph is purely an estimation and from my own measurements the real response does not look like the one shown on the app

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.