Homepage / Community / Technical questions / 1723 S Tower integration with 1723 1V Sub

1723 S Tower integration with 1723 1V Sub

james-jones
Community Member

Hello all!  I’m looking to build a 5.1 system with 3 1723 S towers for the LCR and 1961 BS for the surrounds, along with 2 1723 1V’s.  I’ll be using this system mostly for movies.  I saw the Audioholics review of the 1723 S towers (which was very good BTW) and they mentioned that it’s difficult to integrate a subwoofer with the towers.  I’m curious as to how any of you owners of the 1723 S towers are integrating your subs.  Are you running the towers full range? Are you crossing over the subs at 80Hz?  I’m looking to purchase this gear in the near future and I’d appreciate any pointers/tips/experiences on integrating these speakers and subs.  Thank you!

All replies (8)

RobertV
Community Member

I have the 1723S towers as well with an SVS SB 16 Ultra subwoofer. I have the speakers set to small and crossed over at 60. I find that the sub doesn’t seem to add much to music listening but for movies it is great. Currently I have one port plugged. Like you, I am looking for any advice or pointers. The Audioholics review does have a lot of info (most above my head). I may try setting them to large and see how they sound. Either way the 1723 S are great speakers.

james-jones
Community Member

Robert, thank you for the response!  If you could respond with your findings when setting the speakers to large, I’d greatly appreciate it.  I’m looking to make the purchase in the coming weeks and will be experimenting.  I read an article in the Support -> Product Specific/Technical section (“1723 Monitor S vs 1723 Tower S as Front Speakers?”) and it mentioned that if using 1723 towers its ideal to have the subs at one side of the listening position or behind the LP.  I gather I will be experimenting with that to find the best integration.  Again, Robert, thank you for sharing!

RobertV
Community Member

James

My sub is against the back wall.

james-jones
Community Member

AH OK.  So, that seems to be an optimal position according to the article.

Kristoffer Svendsen
Customer Support

Hello guys, I’d love to clarify a little!

For movies, the tower S can definitely benefit from a subwoofer or two. Although they have great bass reproduction on their own, nothing beats a well-integrated subwoofer (or two) for movies. When pairing them with subwoofers, we recommend plugging the ports on the tower S, and leaving the subwoofer open. This will make the sound from the Tower S even tighter, and make for easier integration with the subs, as there is one less source that can cause phase problems/difficulties.

When pairing the towers with subs, we recommend setting them to small in the AVR settings. The subwoofers will basically always be better with the lowest frequencies anyways. As a starting point, setting the crossover to 80Hz (the THX standard) is recommended for movies. For music, we generally recommend a slightly lower crossover of 60Hz as the fronts will have more impact, and it tends to blend better with the music. If you want a little more punch and low-end presence from the fronts during movies, you can of course use it for this as well. It’s important to note that every room is different, which means the speakers/subs will behave differently. That means the “best” crossover frequency will be different for each room, so we encourage you to try a few different ones.

In terms of placement of Dual subs, placing both along the front wall often looks the best, but rarely sounds the best. There are multiple configurations to try, and I advise you to check out our knowledgebase, and more specifically this article about dual sub setup

If you have any other questions, you are always more than welcome to reply here, or contact us through customer support.

RobertV
Community Member

Kristoffer

Thanks for the info. What do you mean by keeping the sub open?

james-jones
Community Member

Thank you, Kristoffer, for the clarification!

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi James,

Kristoffer meant you keep the ports on the vented subwoofers open.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club