Homepage / Community / Technical questions / 1723 Towers/Center THX, Sealed & Ported

1723 Towers/Center THX, Sealed & Ported

laurence-chan
Community Member

I’ve been running an experiment of sorts to make comparisons with running my front stage, which allow for sealed and ported options. From day 1, since i installed and placed my front stage, I’ve been listening to them sealed, all ports plugged and I’ve quite enjoyed the sound thus far, so much so that the difference between my previous Klipsch Legends was quite drastic in my preferences. The Klipsch Legends are no slouch what-so-ever as I owned and listened to them over 23yrs, but these 1723 Tower THX and 1723 Center THX have won me over, and I’ve been demoing different speakers over the last 5 yrs from manufacturers that include Revel, Monitor Audio, Paradigm and KEF, needless to say I don’t own any of those speakers and I didn’t send these Arendal’s back in their 60 day trial period. Now that I’m 4 months invested as an Arendal owner, I’ve been listening to them sealed, and on Thanksgiving day I decided to pull the port plugs out and go full ported, WOW, I knew I was getting a wonderful, full soundstage, but now the fullness added a bit of a lower frequency, a deepness(is that a word?), if you will, and thus far three days in, fully ported has taken my listening enjoyment to another level. Just to add, I will be running Dirac Live again tomorrow just to be thorough.

So……..have you 1723 Tower/Center owners actually tried your front stage “sealed” for a longer time period and then switch to “ported” and experience the same listening experience I have?

All replies (17)

Lukas
Customer Support

As said in the beginning we always encourage our customers to experiment with this, as rooms and tastes will always vary:)

@Michael
B
You are not restricting movement by plugging the ports. You are just having a different enclosure tuning.
As seen in the attached graph. You definitely have less output with a shallower drop-off.

Michael-B
Community Member
  • @ Lukas, I appreciate all of the feedback. I just purchased two SVS SB-3000 subs. (the Arendal subs I wanted to get are just too big for the size of my room) these are sealed subwoofers, so would you recommend I put the plugs back in my 1723S towers and 1723 center?
Lukas
Customer Support

@Michael B

Try it:) I personally would seal the speakers, but as said before, tastes and room will differ:)

arkmann

Michael are you running with the speakers sealed now that you are running with the 2 subs?

Michael-B
Community Member

@arkmamm , yes I am. Tried it both ways, and the bass just sounds more refined with the speakers being sealed. Unsealed it was just too much base and it didn’t feel precise like it does when sealed with the SB 3000 sealed woofers. Also set the crossovers for the 1723S towers to 40 Hz. I think because of the hungry 4ohm Arendal’s ,the Marantz 50 is showing its limitations otherwise. At high music volumes, I was seeing a slight distortion, and I don’t think it was a result of the speakers. The Marantz 50 is an amazing surround sound receiver, and I’m blown away by how great it sounds with movies, but I think the Arendal 1723 S Towers should have more power sent to them than the Marantz 50 can provide. Considering how much I just spent on the Marantz I’m going to just live with it for now.

RobertV
Community Member

I am running a similar set up like Michaell B. I have a Cinema 40 with an Emotiva XPA3 pushing the 1723s left and right towers and the 1723s center. I alos have the ports plugged and my crossover 40  To me this give me the best sound

arkmann

Michael thanks for the update.  My 1723 Towers all ports are open and have my twin SVS 1000 PROs low pass filters set to 39 with a 12 db roll off.  Keep adjusting the subs depending what I’m listening to.  Love the sub app.  Reading questions on other sites about issues mixing the towers with subs but it sounds great to me.  Hear you about the amp.  It’s an expensive hobby.  Started with a Denon AVR with 140 wpc and switched to Rotel separates with 200 wpc.  Much fuller sound and no distortion.  Enjoy your listening!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club