Homepage / Community / Technical questions / 1961 bookshelf vs monitors in small/difficult room

1961 bookshelf vs monitors in small/difficult room

Fernando A
Community Member

Hi,

I am struggling to decide whether I should go for the monitors or the bookshelf as LCRs in a home cinema application.

My room is small and several features constrain  my speaker placement choices. The room itself is 3×4.75m with 2.15m ceilings. Currently I am running a 7.2 setup with Infinity beta series speakers: 2x40s, 1×360, 2xES250 (bipolar) and 2x10s.

The listening area is tiny with the front stage having a width of only 2.2m. and a MLP at 2,2m from the 40s’ tweeters (1.87 between tweeters) which are toed in by 10-ish degrees. Unfortunately the L speaker is tucked into a corner and the R speaker is against the front wall with around 1m of air to the right wall.

Given the size of the 40s you can image how cramped the front stage feels when sitting in front of the 77″ TV. So size is my main drive to investigate Arendal’s 1961 series . A plus is I can easily hang them from the wall with the Vesa mounts and gain some floor real state.

I do not intend to go into sound quality comparisons here because I am almost sure I am not improving much on that regard…

As much I like the 40s and the 360…they are massive for my room and I think they are a bit overwhelming and that they do not voice OK at my listening distance. Also, I have a significant bump around 80Hz coming from the L speaker (partially mitigated with the  toe in).

Will the 1961 bookshelf voice better at that distance and/or cause less SBIR that the monitors?

Will the Bookshelf match with the center as good as the monitors?

I do not mind the extra money or size  accompanying the monitors, I am more worried about the voicing and the SBIR.

I do believe that a matching monitors trio is ideal in any situation but I am interested in knowing that you guys think.

As a side note, due to size constrains I do not contemplate acquiring  a 1723 center

All replies (12)

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

Hi Fernando,

I think for that room setup that I would be inclined to go with the 1961 Monitors, due to the fact that they will have a little less vertical dispersion due to the MTM design compared to the Bookshelf speakers. That means you will get a little less floor and ceiling bounce in the voice registers, leaving more of the direct sound from the speaker rather than room reverberation.

As for issues with placing the speakers very close to front wall and corners it will be very similar on Bookshelf vs Monitor, and they both drop off around 80Hz which will give you less headaches under this point. I do definitely recommend a subwoofer to go with either of these.

Fernando A
Community Member

Thanks for your answer Thomas,

I do see your point but it was lateral bouncing stuff from the left speaker what got me worried. I forgot to mention that I do have wall treatment on side and back walls (basically 2″ insulation with 1″ separation from the wall), a thick rug on the floor and a bit of acoustic treatment on the ceiling fist reflection points.

Bass response below crossover frequency  is not a problem, I do have two 12″ subs in opposite sides of the room and I get a nice flat-ish response with plenty of tactile feel. I was more worried about the stuff going on above  the crossover.

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

Any time Fernando.

It does sound like the 1961 Monitors will be your best option as I see it.

Fernando Ayllón
Community Member

I finally decided to go for 1961 monitors and center and, oh… “What are the chances?” … they all three showed up at the outlet so I went for them :)

I will post my first impressions when I get them and manage to hang them. I did buy your wall brackets just in case but I need to toe in those monitors so not sure I will use them. For starters,  I will  hang them using the keyhole brackets and will try to come up with some creative solution for toe in.

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

That’s awesome! Look forward to hearing your impressions when you get them all set up.

Fernando Ayllón
Community Member

I have been using the speakers for a while now.I am quite happy so far.

It has not been night and day different with my former speakers but it was worthy overall. If you consider how small spatial footprint the monitors have, the change has been monumental. L&R are hanging from the wall, sides of the TV, so I have gained precious floor real state. Slightly better sound and 4 times less visual intrusiveness: I would call that a win-win.

Also, I got a 9 months old 1961s subwoofer from a local seller at a hard to resist price. I am very impressed with the output it provides. Again, 20cm less deep than my previous 12” B&W made a remarkable difference.

I bought some wall  mounts  for the speakers so I can toe them in around 10 degrees. Very disappointed with those. impossible to adjust parallel to the wall: it is like they sag with speaker weight. When I ordered the monitors I also ordered the original wall mounts but have not use them.I really need the toe in …

Attachments:
Lukas
Customer Support

Looking good, Fernando.

Now you just need a proper rack for all your gear:)

You can also rotate the subwoofer 90 degrees so you don’t see the amp and cables.

Fernando Ayllón
Community Member

I was thinking more on a taylor made  wood & metal bench where I can put everything at the proper height and with adequate ventalation: I have a record player, a SACD player and external amp waiting for me in a closet ;)

Depending on the bench design, I might leave the subwoofer like that and gain 10cm of floor space between the sofa and the subwoofer: cables and sub’s plate amp should not be visible if designed properly.

Also, all the wall sockets and plates should not be visible once the bench is in place. But to be honest, I am at the analysis-paralysis phase…integrate the sub with the bench, yes or no? Put the center in a shelf and make the bench at constant height all along or play with different heights and give the center some air (but having some of the wall plates/sockets visible?

Also, I need to figured out what I want for the surrounds and backs. I am inclined to use 1961 heights and have them a bit elevated, out of the way and not to close to the listening position.

And the eternal quation: Do I need another subwoofer? I am coming from two 12″ but have to say I do not miss any of the punch. Of course, FR is not perfect now but who cares when you have so much output XD

Lukas
Customer Support

If you want the best sound you should keep the center free and not integrate it into the furniture.

As long as you are happy with the sound stay with one subwoofer. Everyone has different priorities and sometimes just one sub can be all you need. It does not have to be much better with two subwoofers.

Fernando Ayllón
Community Member

Thank for the thoughts. For me, it is difficult to stay away from the measurements but I need to learn to enjoy the system and not care about this or that.

Yesterday, I wanted to see the first 10 min of “All quiet in the Western front”, just to see if it was worthy….It did not work; you should have seen the smiled on my face

The soundtrack was really engaging and fun with the new system. I do not remember having that much fun with the infinity system (which in part is still playing at surround and backs duties). Bu hey, must face placebo ;)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club