All replies (10)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Jim,

Both speakers will work in your space.
If you like to listen loud, the bigger 1723 Monitors will of course have the edge.
They also sound a little more direct in the upper midrange, whereas the 1723 Monitor S is a tad warmer.
Not a huge difference as they are designed with the same idea, but in direct comparison it is noticeable.

Same thing with the subwoofers.
The bigger 1723 Subwoofer 1V will play louder with more output below 40Hz but still maintain a great transient response. It will sound more spectacular with movies.
If you do not need the extra output and want a more understated sound, that integrates even better, then the 1723 Subwoofer 1S is for you.

ghost_of_el_dorado
Community Member

Hey Jim,

I have a family/living room similar in size that opens to kitchen/nook. 16′ wide and 19′ long with 9′ ceiling then open up to kitchen/nook. I went with 1723 (5x)… for the 5.1.4 i will eventually make it 7.1 once i figure out some space 3 seat large sofa/couch. The 1723 THX are perfect in the space. Fills the room really with my Marantz 8805A with OSD 5180 amplifier. Can’t go wrong, again, if you have the necessary space along with rest of the furniture that might you might be going with, 1723 THX may be perfect. :)

my room size is just below the 3000 cubic ft for the THX Ultra certification. Mine is just around 2800-ish something with viewing distance of just around 12 feet. 1723 Fills the room with excellent SPL. On the Marantz with Amp, i keep the volume between -25 to -15 depending on the content am watching… never needing to go above those volume/spl levels

Hope it helps.

Attachments:
Jim
Community Member

Hello Daksh,

Thanks for the reply and picture. Speakers look good in your living room. You have been very helpful.

Jim
Community Member

Hello Lukas,

I’ve listened to the 1723 monitors and they sound non compressed and life like, or real. Do the 1723S share that same quallty? Do they have the same wide sound stage? I want to get 1723S monitors for my bed layer surrounds and 1723S heights for atmos. I plan to purchase two 250 watt 6 channel class D amps to power them. I’m trying to decide on the L/C/R. Would it sound better have 1723 monitors up front for a larger sound stage or have the 1723S monitors up front as well so all the speakers are the same size, I kind of like that idea to have the perfect sound bubble. Or does it matter? what would do based on your experience with these speakers? Thanks for the reply.

laurence-chan
Community Member

While I could’ve gone with the smaller 1723 Monitor THX in my current home , I looked to the future and bought the 1723 Tower THX because I plan to be in a bigger home with a bigger dedicated room.  I always err on the side of the bigger drivers because of this.

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Jim,

I know this is not the answer you want but both scenarios will work great.

The 1723 Monitor and Monitor S are extremely similar.

Soundstage I would say is pretty much the same, maybe a bit larger on the 1723 Monitor due to its physical size.
It will play with more headroom, which in turn will make it sound more relaxed and effortless.

In my opinion, our 1723 Monitor S is a little more forgiving in the upper midrange, and not as direct and revealing.
But not in a bad way. You still get tons of detail and great clarity in the voices, just a tad warmer.

As I said not a huge difference but it is there.

In terms of matching in a surround system, I would decide on the SPL you want to achieve. If you listen very loud the bigger LCRs will help. The sound bubble will be equally as good as if you would have an all 1723 Monitor S system.

neil-h
Community Member

I know it’s a little late in the game but I went with the full size Monitors (not the “s”) and so glad of the choice.

Aarun Sokhal
Community Member

Nice choice. I recently swapped from 1723S to 1723 and its a pretty decent jump in performance and fidelity.

Cleaner, bigger, more dynamic.

The 1723S sound fantastic too. Now I’m swapping all my speakers to 1723.

Hoping Arendal release 1723 heights as clearly 8” woofer makes a difference

neil-h
Community Member

I have the 1723 monitors (full size). My search for near perfection is over. Using them with the Hegel H190 and SVS sub makes me think there’s really not much better out there at least in my mind. This is MY opinion only. At my age they may be around after I’m gone. I won’t even look anywhere else for new speakers. Arendal subs were not around at the time but my SVS is so good. If my SVS craps out it will be an Arendal or Perlisten sub in my system.

chris-lukowski
Community Member

“If you like to listen loud, the bigger 1723 Monitors will of course have the edge. They also sound a little more direct in the upper midrange, whereas the 1723 Monitor S is a tad warmer.”

Hi Lukas, could you describe a little more what “warm” and “direct” mean as it applies to the midrange? And by midrange do you mean primarily vocals?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club