1961 vs 1723

Jeff Laing
Community Member

I’m trying to decide on an 11.2.4 setup, what’s the biggest deciding factor on choosing models, room size or physical speaker size, I’m getting 1 3 cherry and 2 5 cherry amps, so power isn’t an issue

All replies (13)

Mariusmssj
Hero

I would say it would the room size and the layout you got. I went for a mix of 1723S and 1961 which has worked really well for me. I used 1723S for my front stage the left center an right speakers. For my surrounds and heights I used 1961 since their compact size allowed for really easy placement and flexibility.

Room size is definitely a deciding factor, the difference in size and weight from a 1961 to a 1723 speaker is quite big.

Sound quality is also a deciding factor, I’m sure 1961 speakers will sound good but 1723 are certainly superior and more detailed.

Lastly it’s also a feeling thing, a 5.5″ driver can reproduce bass notes quite well but you can only hear it and not feel it, a 8″ driver will go deeper and more importanly you can feel the bass notes in your chest, you have to try.

Mariusmssj
Hero

I agree with Miko.

However, Arendal 1723 & 1961 speakers are both THX rated thus have a serious drop off in FR after 80HZ (as per THX spec) and will need to be paired up with a subwoofer for full experience. If you’re getting monitors or bookshelf speakers the the difference in low end won’t be that significant as day and night. However if your getting the towers well that’s a different matter.

Since you’re getting power amps for all of the speakers I’m assuming you have a large space thus 1723 most likely be better. More info would help to advice.

Jeff what are the dimensions of your room?

Do you have a square room or rectangle?

secondly are you listening to music watching movies loud or neutral??

Even if you use a sub you will definitely feel a big difference with a 8″ woofer.

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

Room size, budget, placement restraints for the subwoofer(s) and whether or not you also enjoy listening to music would be my deciding factors on which series to choose. Frankly, the 1961 series are closer in performance to 1723 than most people might think.

Mixing between the series is something I can highly recommend.

I have yet to hear 1961 speakers so I’m not judging the quality and how they compare with 1723 speakers, I was referring to a general comparison between the feel of  having in front a 5″ and a 8″ driver, at least for me. When I swapped my pair of KRK RP5 studio monitors with a pair of KRK V8S4 the difference was huge.

Mariusmssj
Hero

I really think 1961 speakers are highly underrated. For their size the output that they provide is just amazing!

It’s rather easy to make a big speaker sound big, it’s much harder to do the same with a small one.

Jeff Laing
Community Member

Sorry I haven’t replied sooner, life is upside down, I meant 9.2.4, my room size is not ideal, an L shape, with the left front wide open, my rear and sids are 14 feet apart, and my towers to the rears of re 22 feet apart, listening position is 14  feet from the front wall with 8 foot ceilings, dont judge but I have Klipsch RF 82s with RC 62 center, 2 8 inch drivers, looking to get my endgame speakers from Arendal, everyone is very helpful, this is my first time on a forum

Jeff Laing
Community Member

I forgot, I listen to music equally as much as movies

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.