Bi-amping?

kurt-de-keersmaecker
Community Member

I’m bi-amping my front 1723 S with my Yamaha RX-A2080 receiver. The receiver puts out 140W of clean power 2 channels driven. Would it be better not to bi-amp the speakers to gain output power for 2-channel listening?

All replies (5)

Luis

I’ve tried various bi-wire / bi-amp configurations in the past and I never heard a significant difference with 2 channel audio.  For Home Theater or Audio when using an AVR, dynamics may improve when you add a separate amp; however, it may not be worth the effort nor additional cost…. only your ears will be able to determine that.

2 channel wise, I prefer separate pre-amp / amp combo over an AVR as I’ve heard vast instrument separation / soundstage improvements over an AVR… just my humble opinion.

Hands down, within my previous and current homes / rooms, the most dramatic and sonic improvement has been by adding acoustic treatments.  If the room isn’t treated, take a look into GiK acoustics as they provide a free service of modeling your room and will provide recommendations based on your budget.

That being said… nothing stopping you from trying and making your own judgment; however, my ears didn’t notice any difference while bi-amping.

Lukas
Customer Support

I have tried this many times over the years and never heard any improvement with Bi-Amping on AVR’s internal amps.
You never really have more power, as you are limited by the power supply. With 4 channels driven, you are just splitting the power you had with 2 channels, and increasing the load for the amp.
With separate amps it can be a different story, but not always worth it.

arkmann

Agree with both replies.  I heard no difference bi-amping with my Denon AVR.   I heard an improvement in sound moving to a separate preamp and amp in my 2 channel system.  I bi-wire since the 1723 towers have the 4 terminals and I like the quality of my Audioquest Rocket 33 cables.

kurt-de-keersmaecker
Community Member

Thanks for the info guys!

So Arkmann, you’re using your preamp and power amp for stereo listening and your avr for HT then? Bi-wiring the Arendal L/R speakers?

arkmann

Kurt, Yes using the preamp and power amp bi-wiring the 1723 towers for 2 channel music.  The AVR is unplugged and in the closet for now.  Will use elsewhere in the future.  My HT TV is in another smaller room and I’m using a Sonos Beam 2 and mini subwoofer for TV and movies.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club