Homepage / Community / Hangout / Digital source for 2 ch listening

Digital source for 2 ch listening

Valentin Dumitrasc
Community Member

If this has been asked before, I apologize.

what are you using as a source for you 2ch listening? I am researching about this and there are so many options. For now I am stuck on the Marantz SACD 30n.

cheers,

Vali

All replies (18)

Luis

I use Roon to stream Tidal or FLAC files… Roon runs as a docker on my NAS and all of my music is also on my NAS.  I’ve been using Roon for the last 6+ years and so far, it’s worked out great for me.  I purchased a Lifetime license 6+ years ago, so it was significantly cheaper than it is today.

When sitting at my desk, I have a Schiit Lyr 3 tube amp and Sennheiser HD6xx headphones.  The Lyr has Schiit’s MultiBit DAC card, so USB output from Pi into the Lyr and Roon provides the audio stream.  I have another Pi connected to my Marantz Cinema 50 via a HiFiBerry DIGI2 Pro… again, I use Roon to stream.   The Pi’s are running Ropieee as the OS as that converts them into Roon endpoints.

When I had a dedicated 2 channel setup, I was using a Cambridge Audio CXN v2 as a Roon endpoint.  I compared a Bifrost 2 and Ares II to the DAC within the CXN v2 and ended up selling both external DACs.  Although both of those DACs were indeed very good, the extra cost wasn’t worth the slight audio improvement over the DAC in the CXN V2.  I never tried a Pontus nor similar priced DAC as I was more than satisfied with the sound from the CXN v2.

Honestly you’re listening to the DAC and it’s implementation… have you listened to it yet?  If you like the sound from the Marantz 30n, then you likely prefer a warmer sound signature.  Any streamer or external DAC with a R2R design should provide a similar warmer sound.  The Marantz would probably be warmer sounding than the CXN v2 with Schiit DACs being more neutral / slightly brighter sounding… not harsh nor fatiguing, just more sizzle on the top end.

What other streamers are you interested in?

Valentin Dumitrasc
Community Member

@Luiz.

many thanks for all the details. I do agree that we’re listening to the DAC, actually.

My previous one was a Chord Qutest. It was quite nice sounding when connected to a Bluesound Node 2i. I pulled the trigger and ordedered the SACD 30n yesterday. I do indeed like a warmer sound, as I think is best, for me, with such revealing speakers, as Arendals.

Plus, I don’t have too much space for multiple boxes. So the Marantz will just free the space for a power cleaner.

cheers and happy listening.

arkmann

Vali using 2 different sources.  Streaming Qobuz through Bluesound Node and playing CDs on Rotel RCD 1572 MKII.  Both sound great on my 1723 Towers.  I find that Experimenting with different equipment is part of the fun.  Enjoy your musical journey!

Valentin Dumitrasc
Community Member

@Arkmann. I used to stream via the Node. I

must say they it is a better experience than the Heos one (my SACD 30n arrived yesterday) . But yes. Playing with different combinations is certainly part of the fun. I really enjoyed my time with the Node. I might get one in the future if the HEOS will start being frustrating.

cheers! Happy listening, sir!

arkmann

Thanks hope the SACD 30n works for you enjoy!

Luis

No problem @valentin.dumitrasc… more than happy to share my previous experiences.  I bet that Chord sounded great, curious if you still have it as I wonder how it would sound compared to the DACs built into the Marantz.

100% agreed on the space and it was basically one of the reasons I started looking into using a Pi for my desk setup…

Once the Marantz arrives, please post your listening experience… enjoy the journey!

Valentin Dumitrasc
Community Member

@Luiz.

It’s arrived! I am, so far, very happy with it. For now I am just streaming via Spotify, as I can’t manage to login on Amazon music for the UK acxount. It sends me to the NA page to login.

But I like the sound very much. I don’t own the Qutest anymore. I would have loved to compare the sounds, indeed.

happy listening

arkmann

Great!  I’m in the US and I started streaming with and still use Spotify.  Tried Amazon for their HD content but had some glitches when I used with different devices.  Tried Qobuz and Tidal for Hi-Res listening and kept the Qobuz.  I find that Spotify has the best app and it’s easy to use across multiple devices.  Hope they start offering Hi-Res.  If they do I will probably drop Qobuz and just pay for the one service.

Valentin Dumitrasc
Community Member

@Arkmann.

I’m using Spotify mostly, too. For non critical listening I can hear no difference. I’ve started re-building my CD/SACD collection for the weekends. With the new equipment I must admit I am still listening to the system rather than enjoying the music. But it’s hard not to. These speakers sound sooooo goooddd.

arkmann

I’m doing the same back to buying CDs but streaming is so convenient that I listen to Qobuz unless I want to listen to a rare CD not available online.  Agree the speakers sound amazing especially with rock bass and drums.  Enjoy!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club