Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Speaker stand pikes on wood floors? Crazy? Brilliant?

Speaker stand pikes on wood floors? Crazy? Brilliant?

William Karben
Community Member

I’ve had my 1961 towers for about a month now and love them! And I have wood floors….

Is it nuts to use the spikes on wood floors?  I would think it would beat your floor up over time? I just saw pic on Reddit where speaker spikes are being used on bare wood floors!?!

I tried my spikes with them sitting on the little “coasters” that come with the stand kit but I replaced them the rubber pucks as inevitably the speakers get moved to clean or the grandkid is coming over, etc.

Also, Is there a fidelity cost to using the rubber pucks vs the spikes?

All replies (3)

arkmann

I wouldn’t use the spikes on a wooden floor.  They will get marked up over time.  I have my towers on carpet and tried both the pucks and spikes and noticed no difference in fidelity either way.  Don’t think you lose anything using the pucks on wood floors.  That’s the way I would go.

Kristoffer Svendsen
Customer Support

Hello William!

Using the spikes directly on a hardwood floor will most likely cause damage over time. Using the discs underneath will definitely help, but the pucks will be your best bet. The pucks will actually do a little better job of decoupling the speaker from the floor, so they might actually perform a little better than the spikes.

neil-h
Community Member

Hi William

I wouldn’t spike the floors directly. Arkmann is on point in that it really doesn’t make much if any difference. The Arendals are very heavy and I really don’t think the opposing forces of the drivers are really going to move the speakers to the point of audibility. I’ve never been able to hear a difference myself.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club