Homepage / Community / Technical questions / How do the 1961 Heights sound off-axis for Atmos?

How do the 1961 Heights sound off-axis for Atmos?

chris-lukowski
Community Member

I’m looking into the 1961 Heights for on-ceiling Atmos placement as the 1723s are just too big for on-ceiling mounts IMO. I see the baffle angle is 10° and the typical recommended Atmos angle from MLP height is 35° off vertical which puts the Heights at 25° off-axis (roughly 40″/101cm ahead & behind MLP, 57″/105cm below ceiling). Am I still going to get good sound with this positioning, or is this not a great idea?

All replies (4)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Chris,

When mounting the 1961 Heights on the ceiling you should have them pointing at your ears in your listening position.
You can do that by distance and using the 10-degree built-in tilt, or get a tilt/swivel mount as an alternative.

Luis

I’ll probably be shunned for saying this… but… use the Dolby diagrams as a guide.  As Lukas indicated, try pointing the speakers at you instead of straight down at the floor.  In 2 different setups, I’ve watched movies with Atmos with speakers in the Dolby recommended position, aiming straight down and with bookshelves angled towards the MLP… to my ears, there was no contest, those pointing down didn’t add much to the overall sound field; however, it was much more immersive having speakers pointing towards the MLP as they contributed more to the “sound bubble”.  Simply my preference…

I attached a couple of diagrams by Anthony Grimani; these differ slightly from the typical Dolby diagrams.  You can google him for more details, but he worked at Dolby and has a few patents in the HT and acoustical fields.  He has a different take on placement…

Attachments:
Luis

Here’s part 2 of the video

laurence-chan
Community Member

Luis, I’ve watched an interview with one of the Trinnov engineers(name escapes me), and he also recommends aiming the height/Atmos channels at the MLP.  This is why I went to great lengths to use the adjustable speaker brackets I have to aim my 1723 Height S speakers directly(or as closely as possible) at the MLP.  IMO, direct radiating takes any off-axis sound degradation dispersion problems off the table.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club