Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Low woofer crossover point in 1732 THX (S) towers

Low woofer crossover point in 1732 THX (S) towers

Anonymous
Community Member

Hi all,

I was wondering what your opinion is on the following and I apologize in advance if the question has been answered a million times here.

On the Audioholics review of the 1723S towers the advice was given to run the towers full range because of the “problematic” low crossover to the woofers in the 1723 towers  (100Hz for the 1723 THX S en 120Hz for the 1723 THX)

This could cause problems integrating the towers with subwoofers when you set the crossover point in the sub at 80Hz.

In the AH forums was suggested to buy the monitors if you wanted to maximize the chance of a succesful integration.

I would appreciate your point of view on the matter since i am seriously considering buying the 1723 towers.

Regards

D. Visser

All replies (11)

Anonymous
Community Member

and what I forgot to mention in my first post is that I already have 2 subwoofers in my current setup which I want to incorporate in my new future Arendal surround system…

Palmspar
Community Member

I think the low crossover in the towers is to blend better with the center speaker that has only mid range woofers.

And the tweeter is crossed at 1500hz, the big midranges can play 100-1500hz easy

But you can set the crossover at 60 hz, for big towers is that no problem.

Even 80hz or 100hz sub crossover looks no problem for me, but then is the internal speaker crossover complete skipped and a waste of floorspace and speaker components.

If i had the towers i set the crossover at 60hz.

Fernando Ayllón
Community Member

Well, I would try to find out what is the towers in-room FR. If due to location, they play bad in the low-mid base area, I will turned up the XO and let the SWs do their job. Unlike the front L/R speakers, they can be easily moved around or EQ.

Just my 2 cents.

Lukas
Customer Support

There are absolutely no issues with integrating the Towers with subwoofers. The low crossover does not interfere in any way. You need to see the speaker as a whole and not just the two bottom drivers. You still have the upper two drivers that play the full bass signal as it is a 2.5-way design.

With the Towers crossed over to a subwoofer, you have very little benefit over the Monitors and you can save some money. That is the whole reasoning behind it.
If you like to listen without subs the Tower will of course have the upper hand.

As Fernando already wrote, every room is different and the best way would be to measure and see what is really going on inside the room. For example, the best crossover in my room is 90Hz. It does not matter which speaker.
This gives me the smoothest response.

D. Visser
Community Member

Thanks everyone who replied. I already ordered the 1723 towers and the 1723 S surrounds…can’t wait..😁

Regards

D. Visser

Luis

Welcome to the family… keep us posted @D. Visser!!

arkmann

Be interested in what you do with your setup and how it sounds.  I Have the 1723 towers and added one and then a second subwoofer from another manufacturer in the front 2 corners.  Better bass than just with the towers IMO in my room.  Able to program the subs I have through the app and save the settings for different types of music etc. or adjust as listening with my tablet.  Can run the subs or eliminate depending on what’s needed all from the comfort of my listening seat.  The musical journey continues…

Anonymous
Community Member

At the moment I am waiting for my 1723 towers. They are due to arrive in July. At this moment I have Heco Celans as fronts and  arendals as center and rears. I have 2 subs from 2 different brands (SVS and Monoprice) also placed in 2 corners. Made night and day difference to the bass at my listening position. I am very limited as where to place my fronts and I never got good bass at the listening seat. A slight movement changed the bass from boomy to non existent. Until I got the subs.

arkmann

Do you notice a difference between the SVS and Monoprice?  I have read a lot of positive reviews on both.  I have 2 SVS subs.  Went with SVS SB 1000 PROs because they fit in the corners where there isn’t space for larger subs with my setup, the positive reviews and they were only $900 on an open-box deal for the pair.  Plus their customer service is outstanding – as is Arendal’s.  2 great companies to buy from.

Anonymous
Community Member

They blend wonderfully..the monoprice is fairly big, the svs is a SB-1000, that one I bought because of the low price and the WAF 😉

I would really like to replace them someday with arendal subs of course but that is more of a long term planning 😁

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club