Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Maximum system volume

Maximum system volume

Ramón T.
Hero

I have a doubt that many will have it too, what is the volume limit of the speakers?

How to know so as not to break them?

I have the 1723 series in the whole set powered by ATI from 200w per channel to 8ohm, supposedly the Towers support 500w and I will be applying 300w.

I have tried to raise the volume and I have come to measure 115dbs at 3.60m there is no distortion and the room supports it well without blurring the sound.

I’m afraid to turn up the volume more but it feels like I have more margin, what is your experience?

All replies (14)

laurence-chan
Community Member

You don’t say what ATI power amp you have but remember the nominal impedance of your speakers are 4ohms, so the specs you should be referring to are your ATI’s power output @4ohms.  I would guess you have plenty of headroom left to push your 1723’s to ear bleeding levels before any clipping occurs, but having said that I think taking your 1723 speakers to those levels   just isn’t necessary to hear them at their best.

Ramón T.
Hero

It is the AT1820 series I have said that I will apply 300w since it is what yields to 4ohms, but I wondered if the speaker itself gives any sign that it is at the limit.

Thank you for your comment.

laurence-chan
Community Member

I have an Emotiva XPR-2 & XPR-5 that I’ve had in storage for the last two years mainly because of their weight and I don’t need the power that these two are capable of,(400 x 5 & 600 x 2, both @8ohm so 4ohms is even more), that I’ve installed two weeks ago to hear what differences if any compared to my two XPA-7’s I’ve been using.  I can’t hear a difference between these XPR and XPA lines and that is at reference levels, so what’s scary is the fact that both Emotiva power amp lines have power in reserve and the XPR’s aren’t even beginning to flex their muscles.

laurence-chan
Community Member

Your 115db @3.60m is quite loud, I’m sure your room was rattling to some extent, so do you really need to push your 1723’s even louder?  Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.  Personally burning up a voice coil would be crossing my mind if your sustaining levels especially with music and not just with peaks from movies.  Yes Arendal’s drivers look to be overbuilt through and through, but they aren’t PA speakers meant for large arenas with concerts.

Ramón T.
Hero

Laurence I do not listen to 115dbs but if I have taken it to those margins, the question refers to whether there is any indicator that the box is at the limit.
My room does not tremble at all was built for that from scratch, I leave you a link in case you want to see it.

laurence-chan
Community Member

I was simply referring to what you said you measured your 1723 speakers, 115db @3.6m, unless I’m not interpreting correctly.  I’m sure just like any other speakers, you would hear signs of stress in the drivers and probably distortion or a rattling.  Being THX ultra certified, they meet or exceed quite a list of specifications, but they still have limits that I’m unwilling to take mine to.  Maybe Thomas, Lukas, Gunnar or Brandon will have the insight you are looking for, so hopefully they’ll chime in on your initial post.

Kristoffer Svendsen
Customer Support

Hello Ramon,

First of all, you have a really nice-looking room! The Arendal speakers seem to fit right in!

It’s hard to tell exactly how much power you are drawing, but sounds like you’re nearing the limits of the amp, especially if the SPL is only from the towers, not including the subs. Distortion becomes very apparent when you increase the volume too much, so as long as you use your ears and common sense you will be absolutely fine.

Ramón T.
Hero

KRISTOFFER,
Thank you very much for your comment,

I forgot to say that this measurement was watching a movie with which all the speakers were active.

The “problem” is that I do not notice distortion at any time, both the Arendal speakers and the room support a lot SPL I have come to try even PA speakers that I also have and the room supports them perfectly.

I don’t really watch movies with a lot of SPL but it’s curious how to tell the limit of a speaker.

neil-h
Community Member

I also have a very hard time understanding why anyone not only wants to listen this loud but will eventually damage their hearing. The end result will be not being able to listen to the music you enjoy with damaged hearing. I listen in the 75 decibel range and that is loud enough for me. We are all different though. Take care of those ears.

neil-h
Community Member

It’s hard for me to comprehend any listening at 115 decibels. I want my ears to last intact for the rest of my life so music is always enjoyable.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club