Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Monitor vs bookshelf vs Surrounds

Monitor vs bookshelf vs Surrounds

eric-h
Community Member

What would be the recommended rear speaker in a 7.1.4 1723 THX system? My room is 17 ft long 15.5 ft wide and 8 ft high ceiling. I have the 1723 THX Towers up front, the surrounds to the side, and wondering what to choose for the rears. Thanks for your help!

All replies (5)

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

The obvious choice as I see it would be the 1723 Surround speakers, or if you want something a little smaller and neater on the wall, go with the 1723 Surround S speakers. I prefer these over monopole designs as they give a wider sound field, and for both of these you can configure them as monopole to see which way you prefer them set up in the end.

Lukas
Customer Support

What Thomas said:)

I personally like having 4 of the same speakers in the back. This will guarantee the most seamless panning of surround effects.

Corey
Community Member

I personally like using 4 x surrounds. But I did consider putting monitors in the back but they were just too deep.

eric-h
Community Member

Now that I think about it, the monitors are pretty huge. I suppose the surrounds will be fine

Gunnar Aasen
Customer Support

Hi,

If you are going for the 1723 Surround or 1723 Surround S as surround back-speakers.

Please note the following:

Our TriAxial surround speakers have side drivers, where the one firing backwards in the room, is out of phase with the other drivers.

Therefore when mounting as the surround back channels in a seven-channel system, the in-phase drivers should be mounted pointing at each other in the center of the rear wall.

Meaning, the Left speaker should be placed in the Right position at the back wall, and the Right speaker on the Left side.

This means the out-of-phase drivers are working in the correct phase with the out-of-phase drivers on the side channels.

Between them, this pairing continues to assist with placing pin-point images at the rear, whilst working with all of the other drivers to diffuse the sound field around these effects.

Attachments:
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club