Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Pre and pro amp question

Pre and pro amp question

Hello

I was thinking of upgrading a to a pre amp Marantz AV8805A and their power amp MM7055 or MM8077 but I can’t find in the specifications that the power amp can handle 4ohm. Do any of you have any experience?

i have the 1961 series of speakers that i run with the Marantz SR7015 and it works fine so i shouldnt be any problems.. right :) ?

All replies (5)

Luis

I don’t see any mention of 4ohm power ratings for those amps.  In the owner’s manual of your SR7015 it mentions:

“Featuring discrete high-current power amplifiers on all channels, this unit delivers 125W of power per channel (8 Ω/ohms, 20Hz-20kHz,T.H.D.: 0.05%, 2ch drive). With low impedance driver capability, it offers operational stability with a wide range of speakers for balanced, quality sound.”

Although it doesn’t mention 4 ohm capabilities, my assumption is the SR7015 can handle a load lower than 6ohms, so that is that is why you are not having issues driving the 1961 speakers.

On page 4 of both owners manual of the MM7055 and MM8077 it states – “Use speakers with impedance of 6 ohms or more.”:

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20101102125800/Manuals/642/642MM7025.PDF

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20130606095300/Manuals/642/642MM8077.PDF

So I assume these amps will go into protection mode with 4ohm speakers; however, I would reach out to a Marantz Dealer to understand their recommendations.

Lukas
Customer Support

The Marantz amp will not go into protection with 4Ohm speakers.

The majority of speakers today are 4Ohms and manufacturers know this. Some countries have strict rules when it comes to heat, which is why the companies write this in their manuals to be safe from lawsuits.

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/marantz-mm7055

” I can also attest that it has plenty of real-world power, even when driving speakers with impedance dips into the 3-4 ohm range.”

But I feel there are a lot of better alternatives out there than the Marantz multichannel amps. Monoprice, Emotiva, IOTA, Rotel…

thanks for your answers.
I just had this confirmed by Marantz that it runs 4ohm without problems

Lukas, yes agree that there are many other good brands but i like the look when the pre/ power amp are from the same brand too :)

Luis

@Lukas – I wasn’t 100% sure, so thanks for confirming.  Agreed… Monoprice would be on my list for external amps, but looking at Jimmy’s room, I can understand why he prefers the aesthetics of the Marantz amp.

Lukas
Customer Support

Yeah, It looks nicer, but for the same money, you can get more powerful amps for sure.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club