Homepage / Community / Hangout / Room Calibration ON or OFF?

Room Calibration ON or OFF?

Hello

Just out of interest how are you guys/girls doing? I myself probably go against the streem a little in my choices, however, I like the result at my home.

Regardless of whether you have Marantz, Anthem, Yamaha or other brand. do you use Audysseey, dirac or do you play movie/music without it?

All replies (27)

Luis

I prefer to listen to music without processing and movies with it enabled.  I’m waiting for DIRAC to become available for my Marantz Cinema 50, so I can compare it to Audyssey, but thus far Audyssey is working rather well for movies.

I have had some acoustic problems in my room and the room correction made it worse. So have listen for 2 years without room correction.
I have now, however, fixed the acoustics, so we’ll see what the future holds.
However, I have managed to do it so very well now everything sounds perfect so i dont dare to change anything :)

laurence-chan
Community Member

Like Luis, I prefer listening to music without room correction.  Movies I tend to like Dirac Live processing.

Lukas
Customer Support

I have installed and calibrated hundreds of home cinemas and especially the automatic room corrections are hit or miss.
I like that the companies finally realized that you need to have a way to edit the results (Audyssey App e.g.).

Even a Trinnov is not the holy grail. Try to correct too much and it will sound worse.

In my home, I do not run any room calibration, just some manual EQ, as I have pretty good acoustics and placement of speakers and subs.

totally agree with you lukas, I always thought that audyssey and also my earlier anthem 740 with arc made the sound worse, so I have worked with acoustics and adjusted a bit myself and am very happy with the results.

Just going to add some more speakers and another sub :)

Luis

Interesting to see that both of you prefer manual adjustments.  Are you using REW to take measurements and then adjusting as needed?

@Jimmy – adding another 1961 1S?  Are you adding atmos… curious as to your plan.

Ramón T.
Hero

Anthem AV70 calibración off 👎🏻

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

If I have access to some sort of EQ in a given setup I will tend to use it if I can be the master of it. There is always going to be some room interaction with any given pair of speakers that could be optimised with some EQ. Although I do think a few of the auto-calibration features on receivers are hit-and-miss.

Lukas
Customer Support

@Luis

Yes, REW and I use a UMIK-1 at home. Gets the job done. Setting manual EQ without measurements is not really recommended.

Hello, I find that the calibration removes too much dynamics and makes the sound too ”bassy” for my taste, so I chose to turn it off. Then i make some adjustments of my own to get it to my liking , so in my opinion it sounds perfect. There is a lot you can do yourself to fine-tune the sound.

I now have the 1961 1V and intend to buy another to even out the bass a bit in the room. I don’t have the opportunity to run real atmos so I now have 1961 heights in the back and was thinking of buying another pair in the front.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club