Homepage / Community / Technical questions / THX 1723 S surround placement back wall

THX 1723 S surround placement back wall

D. Visser
Community Member

Hi all,

Maybe a stupid question but just checking with you to be sure…

I am placing my THX 1723 S against my back wall

I found this info regarding this on the Arendal website:

Therefore when mounting as the surround back channels in a seven-channel system, the in-phase drivers should be mounted pointing at each other in the center of the rear wall.  Meaning, the Left speaker should be placed in the Right position at the back wall, and the Right speaker on the Left side. You can tell the right/left apart, by looking for the R or L marking next to the serial number on the back.This means the out-of-phase drivers are working in the correct phase with the out-of-phase drivers on the side channels.

So am I right to assume that in a 5.1 system with the surrounds mounted placed at the back wall  the above is not applicable?

Thank you for your help

Dirk

All replies (4)

Chris Lukowski
Community Member

Hi Dirk, is this a “couch against the back wall” situation? I think that might be relevant to the answer.

Jurgen Hooglander
Community Member

The surrounds on the side walls is the left speaker left and also for the right speaker.

On te back wall the left speaker must placed right and right left.

yes also for an 5.1 system, i have atmos 5.1.2 and the surrounds are on the side wall.

The in phase drivers must aim at the MLP or at the screen.

D. Visser
Community Member

Hi Chris, it is indeed a couch against the back wall situation.

Thank you Jurgen for your clarification.

D. Visser
Community Member

Hi all,

To conclude this topic,  below the answer Lukas from Arendal Sound was so kind to send me after I emailed Arendal with my question above:

Hi Dirk, In a normal 5.1 system, you do not need to switch the speakers. That is only valid in a 7.1 system where the side drivers can cancel each other out.Nothing special you have to do in that situation.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.