Homepage / Community / Technical questions / YPAO speaker measurements

YPAO speaker measurements

kurt-de-keersmaecker
Community Member

I’m currently integrating my new 1723 1V subwoofer. The sub is set at reference level. When running YPAO the SW distance is measured at 30 cm while it actually is about 135 cm from the LP. The level is set at -6.5dB by YPAO. This results in losing a whole lot of bass especially listening to music while the whole idea of getting the SW was to gain low bass and enrich the overall sound. I don’t tend to listen at 0dB levels. I already changed the SW level to 0 dB and am wondering if I should adjust the distance to 135 cm?

Help!!! 😎

All replies (9)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Kurt,

definitely leave the distance as it was set by your Yamaha AVR. It is not the physical distance but more the acoustical delay, so both your main speakers and subwoofer play in unison. The distance number is not important.

But you can definitely adjust the volume to your liking. Due to resonances, it could be picked up as too loud by the AVR, so you need to find a good middle-ground for you.

The reference level on the subwoofer is just to have one setting less. It is just a fixed volume control and has nothing to do with listening at reference. With most AVRs and correct input gain, this works out fine.
I also have a Yamaha and it is pretty much perfect with reference level set to on.

Palmspar
Community Member

When you want more bass dont change the SW level up to 0 dB in the calibrated level settings.

Then you lift the output curve from the sub up and shifts the subs crossover point upwards, when the speakers are still crossed at the old crossover.

In the avr is the setting subwoofer volume (its in a denon marantz)  if you set this higher it dont increse the volume at the crossover point, but at lower 30-40hz range.

The sub blends beter whith the other speakers if you use this setting.

Palmspar
Community Member

Ypao volume setting on in the avr also enrich low and high frequentie output at lower listening levels.

At lower volume your ears cant hear very well base and high frequenties, ypao volume on compensate for that.

Kristoffer Svendsen
Customer Support

Hello Kurt!

I use a Yamaha RX-A2060 with a 1723 subwoofer 1v as well. I listen at fairly quiet volumes (between -40dB and -30dB), and I have the input gain set to 0dB, ref. level disabled with +3dB on the subwoofer’s level. Crossed over at 110Hz to my 1961 monitors. This sounds awesome! As Lukas mentioned, the distance should be left to where YPAO measures it to be. Even though the physical distance might be off, the acoustical delay will be correct, as the distance measured is the AVR’s way of time-aligning the speakers and subs.

Palmspar
Community Member

Hi kristoffer,

I have also the 1961 monitors great speakers!

In my room they play almost flat to 60hz, i set the crossover at 80hz thats also THX advice and blends perfect with the subwoofer .

Above 100hz you can begin to localize where the subwoofer is in the room, if it was a normal speaker.

Fernando AyllĂłn
Community Member

Kurt, I strongly recommend you to get a calibrated microphone and measure the room to know exactly what is going in your room. Sometimes, increasing the volumen (wherever you do it, sub or AVR) can just make the problem worst. Once you mesure and know where the problem resides, you can play around with location and/or EQ. Otherwise, Jurgen’s recommendation about using curves (if possible) is your best bet.

slightly off topic but,

Lukas, would you still use “reference level” when EQing two 1961 1S with miniDSP?

Lukas
Customer Support

@Fernando

That depends if reference level gives you the level you need. If you have set the input gain correctly and still don’t get enough output, definitely deactivate reference level and use the master volume.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club