Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Mixing 1723 and 1961 subwoofers

Mixing 1723 and 1961 subwoofers

Mohammad Addas
Community Member

I have two 1961 s1 subwoofers in the front area of the room and already ordered a 1723 s1 subwoofer to improve multi-seating bass respose. I’m planning to place the 1723 subwoofer in the back. My room is 4.5×6.0x4.0m (WxLxH).

Any suggestions for best subwoofer placement and integration between 1723 and 1961 models?

Thanks in advance.

All replies (12)

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

My suggestion without fully knowing where your seating area is, would be placing one 1961 Subwoofer 1S in each front corner and the 1723 Subwoofer 1S in the middle of the rear wall. That will likely even out most of the nodes created by the front two subwoofer locations, and will give you a perceived impression that the subwoofer sounds are coming from the front stage.

Mohammad Addas
Community Member

Thanks for the quick response.

My sofa is 0.5m from the back wall. I also think placing the 1723 subwoofer behind the sofa is best for two main reasons:

1. Enjoying high quality near field bass

2. Keeping the 1961 subwoofers in the front for stronger signal since they are connected by RCA and do not have XLR inputs.

Seems the way to go.

Mariusmssj
Hero

What I would suggest for the best integration is getting UMIK-1 measurement microphone and then using MSO (multi sub optimiser) which has helped me loads to integrate 4 subs perfectly and give a flat response across every seat.

That way you can be 100% sure what you’ll be getting and that your response is exactly what you want it to be.

There are many videos on YouTube to help you out. And I would be happy to help out as well if needed :)

Mohammad Addas
Community Member

I already bought a professional kit for measurement but didn’t have the time to learn the software. What you mentioned encourages me to learn it soon.

Mariusmssj
Hero

Out of interest, what kind of kit did you get?

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

You could also download REW and use the “room sim” function which allows you to see how your subs should behave in certain placements. As long as your room is rectangular, it will be pretty accurate on where the room modes are, so you can move subs around to see what works best in your space.

As suggested you can watch a few YouTube tutorial about REW and MSO, it’s not difficult and you can get the most out of your room ;)

Mohammad Addas
Community Member

This is the first time I hear about the Room Sim function. Seems interesting.

Mohammad Addas
Community Member

I will check both REW and MSO as soon as my third sub arrive.

I have a different question though. Currently I have my two subs in the front set to mono. For movies, is it better to set them to stereo? i.e. left signal for left sub and right signal for right sub since I have this capability in my Emotiva processor. And when my third sub arrive I can then put it in the back and choose to sum the two L and R signals.

Or should I keep every thing set to mono?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.