Homepage / Community / Technical questions / 1961 1s [x2] sub integration w/AVM70 – help w/calibration to improve bass response

1961 1s [x2] sub integration w/AVM70 – help w/calibration to improve bass response

Sam Mallabar
Community Member

Hello, All.
Ive got a 5.4.2 setup:
L/C/R: 1961 [towers and center]
Surround [side]: 1961 bookshelf
F/R in ceiling Atmos: RSL C34E II
Subs [x2]: 1961 1s
Processor: AVM70
Power: Emotiva [5ch and 3ch]

I’ve reviewed lots of frequency response data products, done some digging, and ran ARC a few times w/my setup.
Honestly, the system is quite good – I’m very pleased.
However, it just seems like I’m just not getting the type of low frequency [bass] output I would expect…

Settings are as follows… am I doing anything wrong?
LPF bypass – ON
REF Level – ON
Input Gain – +0db
# of Subs – 2 [each ~3′ outside L/R front tower, w/1 corner loaded]

I’m not sure the voltage output of the AVM70 subwoofer pre-outs… should I run the gain on the 1961 1s @+6db?
Since my AVM70 can handle 2 independent subs, should I have the 1961 1s’s set to 1 sub [rather than 2]?
Should I run the subs, w/speakers facing listening position?
Anyone have any recommendations for AVM70 ARC house curve creation/modification, which will help the 1961 1s REALLY come to life??

Any input to improve my low end here, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

Thanks for your time, well appreciated.

All replies (3)

Sam Mallabar
Community Member

Well, I feel REAL foolish.
Really, this system is incredible – I’m no doubt, well fortunate, to have this setup [dream come true].

I re-ran ARC w/ both the subs set to:
Level: REF
Gain: 0
# of Subs: 1

Then created a few progressively modified target curves on the 4 available ARC profiles [w/varying iterations of emphasis on the LFE region]… and WOW, I don’t know what else I could ask for.

Partially at least, I think I wasn’t really experiencing anything near its full potential, as my casual use is at fairly low volume, as well as ARC is too good to have boomy, unblended or exaggerated bass.

Now, when I actually use the system [above… say, -30db or so]… there’s absolutely nothing lacking… the dual 1961 1s’ really do come to life w/plenty of output [as does the entire integrated system].

I bet I could set the gains on the 2 subs to +6db, repeat the target curve progressions, and get the sort of bass output I was imagining [or am experiencing now] at lower volume levels.
I wont ever listen at REF level anyway, and these subs have outstanding protection against compression, and THD…
…I will probably experiment a bit with this, see if I can find a nice sweet-spot that puts out at low/moderate, and high levels without risk of degrading the product.

Arendal:
Yall make some incredible gear!
Keep up the great work!

Ramón T.
Hero

Hello Sam,

I have an AVM70 too, I have a dedicated room conditioned, I have a 7.6.2 ArendalI have run ARC several times and I don’t like the results, I do it manually with a sound level meter and get better results.ARC does not measure distances well, be careful with that because it can create a cancellation when you arrive late in time.Try a manual setting with a sound level meter or using a C-weighted phone appI realized that the Arendal subs have a peculiarity when carrying the driver on the side and that is that when you physically measure the distance it does not correspond to the correct delay.In the AVM70 Set the fronts to “super sub” so that the speakers sound at the same time as the subwoofer even if they are cut off, then use a frequency generating app and place it where the boxes and the sub work well, between 60-80hz it sends the Bluetooth signal (without arc activated)With a sound level meter at the listening point, measure how many dbs you get and then modify the distance of the subwoofer in the Anthem in real time. I seem to remember that you have to confirm to modify the distance and vary the result.If you get more dbs it means that the delay or phase was wrong.It is a method to check if arc has been measured correctly.Do it with one sub and then if you want, add the other and do the same operation.I have a video of this process but it is in Spanish.

Sam Mallabar
Community Member

Thank you, Ramon – for your detailed response. Well appreciated.
As you suggested, I went in and modified levels and curves… the result: Outstanding!

Really happy with the entire system, and the LFE has come to life in a way I didn’t realize it could!

Bed Layer [5 ch]: Arendal 1961 [tower, center, bookshelf’s for side]
Atmos [2 ch]: RSL C34E II
Subs [x2]: 1961 1s
Processor: AVM70
Power [front stage]: Emotiva BasX a3
Power [surround + atmos]: Emotiva BasX a6
Screen: Sony A80J 77″
Equipment Cabinet: BDI

Cheers.
– Sam

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club