Homepage / Community / Technical questions / 1961 1V or 1S. Decisions, decisions……..

1961 1V or 1S. Decisions, decisions……..

Brett Jones
Community Member

I would love to have some feedback from people who have tried or owned either of the sub options in their own space. I am currently looking to add (2) of either type to my space.

First a little about my medium sized space.  Room is 15′ W x 18′ L x 8′ H.  Current sub used is a JL Audio E-112 sealed sub.  Have been wanting to go duals for quite some time, but with the recent JL price increases the thought of adding an additional E-112 hurts a little bit.

Subs will be for 100% movie/TV and some basic game play.  System will not be used for any music listening as I have a separate music only system in another space. Listening volume I will say is no where close to reference level settings.  It gets loud enough, which is subjective of course, but it never ever reaches reference level.

With that being said, I was almost feeling like dual 1961 1S’ would be enough. They do seem a comparable measurement wise to the JL, although they do give up some SPL’s in the 30-40hz range for sure.  I do enjoy their size for the room, but this room can accommodate just barely the size of the 1V’s.  I know I will get more extension and low frequency with the ported sub but again, if I’m well under reference level, would it be noticeable.

So I’m reaching out community! Let’s hear your thoughts or recommendations.  Perhaps your own trials and tribulations as you also struggled with the decisions you had to make.  Yes, I know they have the 60 day free shipping both directions, but hey, I don’t really want to order up 4 subs and go through them all.  That just means its costing someone money on the shipping and then not being able to sell the subs as new anymore for the pair that isn’t selected.

So lets hear it community….

TIA

Brett

All replies (3)

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

Hey Brett,

If you are never really reaching reference level on your system, I think you will be really happy with the 1961 Subwoofer 1S’s. They dig just as deep anyways and have a slightly tighter sound vs the vented counterpart. Your room is not too big either, so pressurizing it with dual 1S will not be a problem at all.

johan-svedjefalt
Community Member

Hi there.

I have gone through the same hellish thoughts. Vented or sealed. It is a wonderful and really soul searching process., haha. I still don’t now if I made the right decision.  But I finally bought 2 1961 1s. I am very happy with them. Would I like 2 1961 1v too? Yes of course. You know what, buy 2 of the the 1v and after 6 months we switch!  I’m serious. How fun would that be? We share shipping cost. Maybe more people would like to join.

Let’s do it.

Best regards

Johan Svedjefält

Luis

I purchased a second 1961 1v for my 10′ 11″ x 15′ 7″ with 10′ ceiling dedicated room and I couldn’t be happier… well… maybe if I purchased a third and place it in the rear of the room?  We’ll see… so far, zero regrets with dual 1961 1v subs.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club