Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Replacing my SVS PB3000 with 2 smaller Arendal Subwoofers

Replacing my SVS PB3000 with 2 smaller Arendal Subwoofers

stephane.swiatlowski
Community Member

Hi all,

I am looking forward to replace my SVS PB3000 by 2 smaller subs. The aim is to have a smoother frequency response all over the room. I don’t have the place for 2 big subs, but by combineting the smaller ones I hope to keep the impact of the big one.I have my eye on the 1961 1V and the 1763 1S.

The 1V seems to have a small output for a 12 ported sub, but it seems suffering from the CEA measurement protocole due to his rear port and side firing woofer.

Could it be compared to the SVS PB2000 in term of output in real life?

The 1763 1S is has even less output in low frequencies but room gain could be the friend of sealed subs…

What would be your advice for me concerning this choice?

NB : my room is rectangular 4,5m x 6,2m

Thanks,

Stephane

All replies (7)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Stephane,

Here is the reply I sent you on Facebook already, but that could also be interesting to the community.

As you correctly pointed out measurements only tell one side of the story and you need to factor in what happens in your room. With typical room gain, you will have much more output.
In my 25m² room the 1723 Subwoofer 1S plays pretty much flat till 15Hz.

The 1961 Subwoofer 1V should be in the same SPL calls as the SVS PB2000. You will of course have a better overall sound quality and transient response. Output is not everything.

1961 Subwoofer 1V vs 1723 Subwoofer 1S article from our support page.

It will come down to your preferences. I personally prefer sealed subwoofers for their tighter sound and better integration with the speakers. And I mostly use it for movies.
But if you are someone that wants to shake the whole room, the character of a vented subwoofer is more for you.

Brett Jones
Community Member

Would it not also be worth considering dual 1961 1S subs? It almost appears from the measurements that the 1961 1S might indeed have some lower extension than the 1723 1S and could be better for movie watching?

I am also struggling with almost nearly the same questions in regards to the 1V vs. 1S in my specific situation.  I can’t decide!!!

That post which hasn’t seen a lot of traction can be found here:

1961 1V or 1S. Decisions, decisions……..

stephane.swiatlowski
Community Member

Hi,

Thank you for your help and good advices.

Bret, I don’t go very often to reference level, but I like some times to push the volume. And for the moment the PB3000 impresses me each time. I don’t want to lose that and so I don’t want to lose total output. Some time it is fun to shake the couch:)

My issue is that I never heard a sealed sub, so I have no idea of what it sounds like and if the power is « enough »

I’m not a bass guy, I mean I don’t want the whole room to shake. I have my system for 80% film and 20% music. but i always setup a sub with music and it usually turns out really well in my opinion. since I have it mostly for movies, I always look for vented subs. The 1961 1V is, to my ears, a brutally fine sub.(and if you want, you can shake the whole house with this :)

I would have bought 2 if my girlfriend didn’t think it looked like a washing machine :)

KEVIN FONG
Community Member

From someone who’s tested every SVS subwoofer from 1000-16ultra in ported and sealed versions, who currently owns a Arendal 1723 2S, I can say that the 1723 1S would not be a match for even a SVS PB-2000 PRO in output or down low. The 1723 1S is more similar to a SB-3000-4000.

The Arendal 1723 2S I currently own gives me the feeling of somewhat similar to a PB-2000 PRO for output and down low.

There’s limitations going sealed and even the best SVS SB16Ultra is not going to beat a PB-3000. But if you are mainly music listening, those differences in the 20hz don’t really matter. Sealed subs just sound faster and tighter.

Of course having 2 subs will definitely help get closer to that original output and smoother room response.

Attachments:
Lukas
Customer Support

It is a very personal preference as we can see. You will have to make your own experiences I am afraid to say.

From my experience, I can tell you, that people who love vented subwoofers, most likely will miss some output with sealed subwoofers. I tested hundreds of subs in my life, and I am pretty confident to know what I like and that is the sealed design. It just works better in my room. The subwoofers just disappear, they play tight and precise, without ever drawing attention to themselves. For some, it could sound boring and too flat. (that is where you can add a house curve)

KEVIN FONG
Community Member

If your mainly into movies the ported will make more sense. If your mainly focused on music the sealed will sound better.

Like Lukas it is a personal preference, but I can live with the absolutely massive sealed 1723 2S to stick with a sealed subwoofer sound but get me closer to those entry level ported subs low frequency outputs.

A sealed sub at this time I don’t see having more output in that PB-3000 20hz region. Would probably need to be more massive than the 1723 2S currently to do it.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club