All replies (6)

Luis

Sometimes my replies don’t post… very strange.  I combined two racks to lower the overall height.

Anyway… Are you planning on using that rack?  Asking as I purchased the same one and plan on place one 1961 1V on either side; however, I plan on leaving a gap between the subs and rack.

Attachments:
Lukas
Customer Support

Lower bass radiates in a sphere pattern and is omnidirectional. As long as you are not choking the driver right against the wall, it will work just fine. Think about all the down-fire subwoofers that maybe have 3-5cm of space between the driver and the floor.
The rack will not influence the sound.
The placement inside the room, however, will have a considerable impact. Try as many positions as possible and more than what looks nice or is convenient.

chris-lukowski
Community Member

Lukas, awesome news thanks for the clarification!

Luis, it’s funny how we “cross paths” in other sites because I was just combing through the reviews on Monoprice and thought “Wow, that foot modification is genius!” without noticing your name there. :D I don’t own it yet but it’s at the top of my list. I’m in the planning phase now and I was having the hardest time finding a low-profile component rack under 20″ tall that wasn’t a depth-challenged Ikea unit. I want to mount a 1723 S Center on top of an Isoacoustics Aperta 300 platform which is about 13″ tall when combined. I want to wall mount a 75″ TV and having the bottom portion at eye-level combined with a 1723 S is…challenging. Yes I know that’s why the 1961 series was created but it sounds like there is enough discernible audio quality difference between the two to make the 1723 S series worth the trouble. I also have to make everything fit in a 134″ space so every inch is at a premium. My idea so far is:
0-9″ free space, breathing room for Monitors
9″-19″ 1723 S Monitor Left on a Monoprice Monolith 24″ stand
19″-37″ 1723 1V Subwoofer
37″-97″ Monolith Double-Wide AV Stand XL
97″-115″ Misc storage space, room for second 1V if needed
115″-125″ 1723 S Monitor Right
125″-134″ free space, breathing room for Monitors

Like I said…tight.

Luis

Yes… it’s a small world for sure and thanks… maybe not a truly genius idea, a stroke of luck perhaps?  But thanks for the complement.  : )

When I looked at the instructions of both the 3 shelf wide and 4 shelf tall racks, I said to my self, they have to share hardware as most specifications appeared to be the same… they shared post lengths, hardware sizing, shelf thickness, etc… so it was a gamble on my part that simply paid off in the end.  I asked Monoprice, but they don’t sell the posts separately and although the Pangea rack looks similar, their posts are not 2″ thick, so in the end I decided to purchase both units… a 3 shelf wide and the 4 shelf tall.  I picked up the M8 leveling feet from Amazon and washers from a local store and after the racks were delivered, I put my “Frankenstein” rack together; however, what do I do with the extra shelves and hardware?  It was at that point of time that my wife walked into the room and complimented me on the wide shelf.  I asked her… what should I do with what was left over… she sat down and after a few mins of brainstorming… we used 3 shelves and some of the left over hardware to create a matching sofa end table.  At ~22″ tall, it fits perfectly next to our sofa… a welcomed accident.. perhaps that was a stroke of genius as we now have a matching TV stand and side table.  : )

I can’t wall mount my TV due to a window, so I need a stand for my 77″ OLED and components; however, the room is only 10′ 11″ wide, so very similar to your issue, floor space is consumed rather easily / quickly.  I originally looked at a 44″ unit from Salamander Designs, but it was significantly more expensive than purchasing the 2 racks from Monoprice.

If you review the picture above, I didn’t install the top front center post as my 1961 center will be placed on that shelf, below the TV; however, it will be angled upward, with a similar angle as the 1961 towers have.  That is how it’s currently setup today and although a compromise, to my ears, it sounds pretty good based on it’s placement.  Although the weight of my 77″ OLED doesn’t come close to the 300lbs shelf capacity, I’m planning to add a wooden brace in the center of each shelf with an extra foot at the bottom to alleviate any potential compromises based on my removing that center post.. possibly not needed, but the braces are for my piece of mind.

Have you modeled the room or put it to paper… I find that helps with figuring out what may or may not fit.  When I worked with GiK, they modeled the room for me for acoustic panel placement… I found that helped me envision what I could do in the room.

Attachments:
Luis

Forgot to mention… my original plan for the room was totally different than what it is today; Covid forced me to change my plans from a 100% dedicated space that sat 4 – 5 to a home office / theater room that comfortably sits two… a third person can sit on my desk chair and a forth on a floor cushion.  Below were my original plans… I had someone help me model the room; color choices, carpet, seats, projector, screen, etc were all selected and almost purchased… one day it will happen.  For now, I’m more than satisfied with my choices…

Attachments:
Lukas
Customer Support

I do not know if it is available in the US, but I have this rack:

Trend 2

It is customizable in height and is a real problem solver.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club