1723 1s or 2s

bjoern.friedmann
Community Member

Hi folks,

I’m looking for a new sub and I’m undecided between 1723 1S or 2S. My room setup is not easy and two subs are close to impossible.

In the picture you can see the location of my current sub. It’s a 15″ single woofer and I wonder if the 1S would be sufficient for me and if/or a 2S would improve the sound.

Since the placement is quiet tricky I wonder if a 2S would even work.

Can someone explain how the 2S would improve/change the sound?

Thanks in advance

Björn

Attachments:

All replies (12)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Björn,

Can you give us a little more information about your room and setup?

What subwoofer are you currently using and why do you want to upgrade? What are you missing?

bjoern.friedmann
Community Member

Sure, happy to do so.

Currently I’m using a Saxx DSP 150 but unfortunately the power amp is broken. It’s out of warranty and I’m not willing to get it repaired and then maybe run into similar issues over and over again.

The room is an open living room, meaning there are no walls between the dining room, kitchen and living room. The living room as such where my tv, sofa etc. is located is ~20 sqm.

For music I usually don’t use the sub since the front speakers produce enough of base.

From the new sub I expect a very solid base foundation which makes me feel the base. Let’s say you’re watching an action movie and you want to feel the shots physically. I know that the vented subs produce more “boom” factor but I think the 1V is simply too large for my living room. Therefore I was looking at the sealed subs and there’s basically the 1S and the 2S.

Jules Jeanselme
Customer Support

Hi Björn,

I’m sorry to hear about your broken power amp…!

Regarding what sub, going for the sealed ones is spot on as you don’t have a lot of space.
Placement is key to getting the best out of subwoofers so I would recommend going with the 1723 1S, you will have more options to move it around to find the perfect spot. And for 20sqm you’ll have more than enough power.

And you might want to try playing music with the subwoofer on, I’m expecting you could get some surprises. Your Dali Rubicon 6 go down to 33Hz. The 1723 1S goes below 18Hz… A lot of information you may be missing. But I understand that sometimes simpler is better when you just want to sit down and listen to music.

bjoern.friedmann
Community Member

Thanks Jules, much appreciated.

Attached you will find a picture into the direction of the kitchen and you see that it’s a rather open space (I didn’t tidy up the room before I took the picture, sorry for that :-) it’s a living room after all :-) )

So would you say the 1S also produces enough of punch for my rather small living room that I can still feel action movies let’s say in my stomach although the 1S “only” uses a 13.8″ woofer?

The Saxx was quiet good in that and I was satisfied with the punch factor, the Saxx has a 15″ driver though.

Attachments:
bjoern.friedmann
Community Member

Ah and a follow-up question. I can see that you currently offer a 1S in the Outlet with a 10% discount.

What can I expect from such an offer? I would expect that the subwoofer has no damages, it might have some fingerprints on it but that’s ok. Other than that it must be flawless and follow the same quality aspects as your brand new devices, right?

Is the amplifier fully test before you send out the device?

Jules Jeanselme
Customer Support

Hi Björn,

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought the whole room was 20 sqm. How much is the “total” of the room? We must consider the whole area as we’ll need to pressurize the whole room for bass.

The 1723 1S is not that small and very mighty. You have an 800-watt amplifier, a very deep bass response with low distortion. We really focused on the transient response that gives fast, tight, musical, and articulated bass. I think it’s my favorite, but I might be biased as I’ve always been a Sealed subwoofer kind of guy. The 2S/2V are amazing as well, but very big, you need space.

The 10% discount is for “as new” items. They are open-box items for ad-hoc esthetical tests or coming back from reviews.
Sometimes we get damaged or scratched items, but then the discount would be bigger.

Everything is tested and working, and you still have 60 day audition period so you can be confident when buying an outlet item.

bjoern.friedmann
Community Member

Perfect sounds good. I’ve just ordered the 1S and will give it a try. Will report back once it arrived and was tested in my environment.

Thanks for your help!

Jules Jeanselme
Customer Support

My pleasure…
Tell us what you think about it once received!

Christopher Riebel
Community Member

Are u happy with ur 1723 1S? Im also searching for the right subwoofer for my room atm.

johan-svedjefalt
Community Member

Hi, yes please let us know what you think. I’m very curiose 👍🏻🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club