All replies (3)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Ajay,

The sensitivity is not a real issue or a spec that will make a huge difference. I personally like to keep the LCR and Surround speakers as similar as possible, for seamless panning.

Since you have all 1723 Series S speakers in the back, I would keep it that way, or upgrade to 1723 Monitor S as side surrounds. (of you have the space for it)

Ajay Babu Amudala Bhasker
Community Member

Why do you think the sensitivity will not make a  difference? Does it not determine how easy it is to drive these speakers? For dynamic peaks, doesn’t the amp struggle a lot more to drive a 84db sensitive speaker than a 87db sensitive speaker? I am just trying to understand how science differs here. Thanks.

Lukas
Customer Support

If you just look at the sensitivity and nothing else, yes, the lower sensitivity speaker needs more power.

But for surround channels that are typically limited anyway, the power requirements are pretty negligible, especially if you have somewhat powerful amps (100 watts per channel). Normally you will use like 10-50 watts for surround channels max! (in a movie setting)
Then you have to account for the right crossover, so the heaviest work will be done by the subwoofer anyway.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club