Homepage / Community / Technical questions / 2 x 1961 1S data better than one 1723 2S ?

2 x 1961 1S data better than one 1723 2S ?

mohammad-addas
Community Member

As far as I know, placing 2 subs next to each other results in +6db gain, and placing them apart results in +3db gain.

The CEA 2010 data for both the 1961 Subwoofer 1S and the 1723 Subwoofer 2S then implies placing 2 of the 1961 1S next to each other will always be better than a single 1723 2S. In addition, if the two 1961 1S are placed apart in the room they will still produce better infrasonic performance compared to a single 1723 2S.

Am I missing something here? Does the 1723 2S has an advantage over 2 x 1961 1S?

All replies (5)

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

Your theory is pretty much right, the +3dB vs +6dB increase will depend on the distance between them and at what frequency though.

So looking at the data, you will get about the same output from 2 x 1961 Subwoofer 1S as you would from a single 1723 Subwoofer 2S considering the measured CEA response. With that said, the 2S gets a little penalized by not having the two woofers on the same surface which gives us a bit less output on a ground plane measurement vs if you would measure it in room. Same goes for the 2V. It means we have to measure 90 degrees to each woofer where they sum up.

Apart from pure sound pressure, which is only what CEA indicates, the 1723 Subwoofer 2S is an even better-sounding subwoofer. If APP control is important to you, then that is another difference between the two.

mohammad-addas
Community Member

Could you please elaborate more on why the 1723 Subwoofer 2S is better sounding?

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

The dual driver designs couple a little better to the room. They have a complete lack of sideways movement due to the push-push configuration. The drivers on 1723 itself are larger but actually has slightly less linear excursion also meaning a shorter voice coil, with less wire spun around it – lower inductance which translates to better transient response and they move less for the same output. The cone itself is also stiffer, with fibre-glass backing on 1723 meaning it behaves even more so as a piston in its usable frequency range.

All are small things, that sum up a sonic difference in the end.

mohammad-addas
Community Member

Thank you for these details. This leads me to another question: assuming the same enhancements exist in the 1723 1S model, is it better to get 2 x 1723 1S or a single 1723 2S? I will appreciate it if you can address the cases of putting the two 1723 1S next to each other and apart, considering that I’m trying to achieve the best audio performance for my main seat and not the whole room.

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

The 1723 Subwoofer 1S has the same driver design as the 2S, so that applies, the difference still is there for the push-push configuration of the dual drivers as well as better room coupling for the dual driver version though.

The best way for you to have more of an educated guess to what will work better in your room is to download REW and use the room sim function, which lets you set up your listening position and room layout so you can try different locations with one or two subwoofers to see the theoretical effect your room will have on the low-end performance.

If you are free to place two subwoofers wherever you want, that will enable you to get the best frequency response in your listening position. After all, it is a game of evening-out room nodes which will always be there in any given room. If you are stuck with one or two locations on the other hand, then it may not give much benefits by going dual subwoofers depending on where those are.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club