Homepage / Community / Showroom / Lot of room to grow

Lot of room to grow

brian-willig
Community Member

On my way with the turn over to a matched Arendal speaker system. Next, replace my side surrounds and rear surrounds with the 1723 THX surround speakers. Thinking of adding a third set for front wides… should be fun! I build all my own stands, stages, and such. The center 1723 shown here is on my mock-up stand till I build the oak version. The speaker sock does a nice job of dressing it up, imo!

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

All replies (19)

Luis

Looks great thus far… congrats and enjoy!!

Ben Salfarlie
Community Member

Wow. This looks GREAT! Can’t wait to see it all complete.
Do you have any preliminary sketches of the stands or will they remain top secret for now?

brian-willig
Community Member

No sketch right now. The mock up stand was to get my final dimensions down. The center speaker sits in front of and above my ust projector. I have a bit more adjusting on height and a more angle up before final design. I’m also building out the room treatments myself as well. Should have some new pics in the next few weeks. Fun times!

Ben Salfarlie
Community Member

Well, looks great so far! Have fun building.

brian-willig
Community Member

Update: Journey continues. Before I build out the final center channel stand, I wanted to treat the room to factor in room acoustics. Specifically placement keeping reflections in mind. I built out the room treatments and am now moving towards the final stand build/center channel placement. I will share for anyone who has not spent some time on room treatments and speaker position, the impact is significant. The improvement in overall tone, clarity, and channel separation is greater than any amp improvements I have made. The amp you choose does make a difference, however I found that speaker position and treating the room causes a more significant overall sound improvement compared to any other 1 upgrade once you have your speaker of choice, Arendal of course. Plus you then upgrade from a better place to appreciate the nuance in fidelity. Cheers!

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.
Luis

Room is looking good… and 100% agreed Brian… acoustic treatments are hands down one of the best improvements you can perform to your room.  I purchased mine from GiK; I used their free design service and I’m extremely happy with the end result.

laurence-chan
Community Member

It astounds me to see audio enthusiasts throwing money at the next latest greatest audio component when they haven’t given any thought to actual room acoustics.

laurence-chan
Community Member

Great looking room Brian!!!  Bet it will sound as good as it looks!  Looking forward to the finished product.

Luis

Lawrence – As you’re aware, I’m in the process of repainting my room and I can honestly say, there’s a night and day difference now that the acoustic panels are out of the space.  The room is a maddening echo chamber with ringing in the corners… it’s horrible in here.

brian-willig
Community Member

Thx, I enjoy this process. I went through this set up with my prior speakers. I work through speaker position. Listing to the same section of music and movies over and over. Speakers closer to the wall, further out from the wall, doing the same with the side walls, closer and then further. I listen to mostly mid and lower frequencies, to choose the perfect placement for my ears and current equipment prior to tuning. (Port tuning and toe in/out as well) Then I have my speaker location to begin to work with reflections. I like my rear stage, behind the front speakers to be live. Working with the reflections in front of the speakers. It is almost always a compromise for me as I enjoy 2 channel as well as multi channel. Not a tall ask for these speakers, but a tall ask for room set up. These 1723 speakers have very good imaging in 2 channel. I like my stage to be deep, placing much of the sound stage behind the speaker and then up to the speakers. As soon as I turn on a multi channel, immediately the sound is more forward, typical with a center speaker. At any rate, I know what I’m after today, not only does my system and room have opportunity to grow, but I do as well. A never ending chase, great news is these speakers allow for a lot of room for me to develop as a listener! For anyone who finds this post, do spend time with your speakers and room. Get the most for your speakers, you paid for them.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club