Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Midrange compensation or BBC dip in audyssey arround 2000hz on or off

Midrange compensation or BBC dip in audyssey arround 2000hz on or off

Palmspar
Community Member

The dip is from what i read to let the speaker sound more neutral to the ears.

When you see the dip in the speaker response without room correction, turn midrange compensation on.

When you dont see the dip without room correction maybe you can turn it off, the speaker is designs without it.

Al my 7 1961 speakers has the dip arround 2000hz, its more strange because the tweeter crossover is set at 1500hz in the speakers, i expect the dip without roomcorrection there.

It looks its a design choice and therefore i think its better for the sound to let midrange compensation on with 1961 speakers.

I looks flat response sound not always best, but there is somewhat misunderstanding on the internet for that dip.

Audyssey and Arendal are good products, its cool to see both use the dip to sound more neutral.

All replies (4)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Jurgen,

Our speakers have no on-purpose designed dip at 2k. This will be most likely a combination of your room acoustics.

The BBC dip is not there to be more neutral, it is just to tame those frequencies, so it will always be pleasant to listen to.

I personally always leave this deactivated, as I do not feel it helps with anything. Maybe, if you have speakers that are elevated in this area, or have a soundtrack that has a very sharp and unpleasant dialog track, it could help.

The best way would be to measure the speakers with a program like REW and optimize positions and placements based on that.

andreas-w
Community Member

My personal experience is that it leaves a slighty unwanted flavor, at least for music. It’s pretty much the first thing i deactivate when customizing my measurements :)

I did some research about it the other day and from my understanding it is a relict of the 80s(?) and initially has been a way to cascade speaker flaws within a specific frequency range. Web knowledge tho, take it with a graint of salt.

Palmspar
Community Member

Thank you Lukas and Andreas, i shall try it without mrc to see how that sounds!

Lukas
Customer Support

Definitely worth experimenting with. As always: every room, setup, and of course, ears are different:)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club