Position Atmos

Ramón T.
Hero

Well, to complete my equipment with Arendal, I have ordered 2 pairs of bookshelfs to use as Atmos, embedding them in the false ceiling.

I have a positioning question, my room is a bit narrow at 3.5m and I don’t know whether to orient them to the listening position.

Or leave them parallel to the walls, as you advise me or as you have?

Attachments:

All replies (20)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Ramon,

Definitely have the speakers aimed at the listening position. This will give the best clarity and virtual soundstage.

Ramón T.
Hero

Thanks Lukas, I had that in mind but I wanted to clarify it.

Lukas
Customer Support

No worries. Especially with your ceiling height it should work great.

Ramón T.
Hero

This is how the Atmos are mounted, I had to open the angle a little because I noticed that the treble was crossed.
I am very happy with this update of my room, a priori it does the transitions very well, I need time to improve it.

Attachments:
Brad Beckmann
Community Member

What are you using to mount the bookshelf speakers to the ceiling?  I really appreciate the pictures!

Ramón T.
Hero

Brad, I have used supports for projectors, they are not attached to the real ceiling, but rather they are on a piece of wood that is on top of the false ceiling plates, I had to cut them a little because they protruded 3 mm as seen in the photo, I will give you a link with the process of my room where they are seen at some point.

https://amzn.eu/d/aRCC0Ey

Attachments:
Fernando Ayllón
Community Member

You must watch Home Theatre Gurus´Atmos series about Atmos placement …hint: apparently that diagram you posted is just wrong.

Ramón T.
Hero

Fernando , can you put the link of the video? They have many videos. Exactly why do you say it’s wrong? Do you have the right plan? thank you

Fernando Ayllón
Community Member

For some reason my replies with the links won’t go through ….

Fernando Ayllón
Community Member

If I am not mistaken the diagram you posted is from the home Dolby Atmos white paper. Apparently, and depending on the room, if you align the bed layer with the tops, the Atmos image will colapse into the bed layer. So, in summary, there are certain angles you should meet for proper imaging. This is very well described in the studio Atmos white paper.

I have seen your video and I wouldn’t worry too much about getting a new power amp for the Atmos speakers. That Rotel should give you more that enough juice for them. If my math is correct, at 2m from the speakers you will get  around 93-94dB with 60w at 8ohms all channels driven. Maybe 3dB more at 4ohms, which is what you have.

I bet 90+dB is excruciatingly loud in your room…just saying

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club