Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Pulling the trigger on my first subwoofer purchase

Pulling the trigger on my first subwoofer purchase

Deyan
Community Member

Hello, Arendal community!

I’m a new member here and likely to become an Arendal sub owner in the near future. Before making my purchase, I wanted to share some final thoughts and seek advice from the community.

Two years ago, I set up my very first home theater system with 2xDali Oberon 5 speakers, a Dali Oberon Vocal center speaker, and two surround speakers salvaged from an old Sony all-in-one home theater unit. Powering these speakers is a Denon AVR-X2700h receiver. The subwoofer was always a future addition to my setup.

During my extensive research on subwoofers, I came across the prevailing belief that “bigger is better.” This led me to reconsider my initial preference for a Dali subwoofer and contemplate options from SVS/REL instead. Although I’ve come across the name Arendal many times, I recently discovered that their products are not available through my Bulgarian AV equipment online retailer because they sell their products directly. An added advantage is that Arendal is a European manufacturer, and their 1961 1s sub is priced lower than the SVS SB-2000pro.

Considering the limited space and budget I have, I’m looking at the 1961 subs. My room is approximately 20 square meters and has limited free space, which compromises positioning options. For the 1v, there is only one available spot, while the 1s allows for two possible positions. Currently, I mainly watch series and listen to music, with fewer movie viewings. Although the 1s seems like a wiser choice given my space constraints, the 1v’s tempting price, only 100 euros more, leaves me second-guessing my decision.

Another concern of mine is whether the subwoofer will significantly enhance my music and movie experiences in my room, considering its price tag. Unfortunately, my Denon receiver does not have the improved version of Audyssey for low-frequency correction, and I lack a REW compatible microphone for personal adjustments. While I’m aware that Arendal offers a free return policy, I’d prefer to avoid that hassle. After all, this is a subwoofer we’re talking about, not a pair of shoes.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this detailed message. I appreciate any insights or advice you can offer.

All replies (19)

Deyan
Community Member

I forgot to ask about the Outlet. I’ve been checking for the past week or two, hoping to come across a 1961 subwoofer. However, it seems that none has surfaced thus far. I was wondering if anyone might have an idea about the likelihood of one becoming available in the upcoming weeks?

Also in my original post I said that the 1v is 100 Euros more expensive, which is actually 200. Still, this makes it slightly more expensive than the SVS SB-2000PRO, but it is much more potent than the latter

Luis

Welcome to the community… is bigger better, it depends on the size of the room and your preferred listening habits.  I consider myself a “bass head”, I love that chest pumping feel to my bass, but I don’t like it boomy nor single noted… I prefer articulation, bass hits, hits hard and dissipates quickly.  At a very high level, I’m sure you found this within your research, but the larger the cone surface area the easier it is pressurize the room; however, that doesn’t dictate the quality of the bass within the room.  Room acoustics, inclusion of bass traps, proper positioning, etc. will all affect the quality.

In my previous home, a much larger space than I have today, I had dual 18″ sealed subwoofers with 1500+ watts of external amplification per sub; however, I had a ton of air space to pressurize as the room was not dedicated and wide open to the rest of the home.  Today I’m in a much smaller dedicated room and thus far my dual 1961 1v subwoofers more than satisfy my requirements. I’m actually a little amazed as to the output and quality of bass these subwoofers produce… so no, in my case, size didn’t matter.  Yes, I was extremely skeptical at first as I was coming from dual 18s with triple the power; however, after the 50hr “break in” period and sitting down for the 1st time to actually listen to them… I was pleasantly surprised.

From a music perspective, I prefer certain types of music with my subwoofers off and others with them on.  As with everything in this hobby, it’s a very subjective type of question… my recommendation, listen to your favorite music… then make your own judgement.

SVS makes a great product… I have no experience with the SB-2000PRO, but my son has the SB-1000PRO.  We tried his sub in my room, but it simply didn’t have the same output nor quality to the bass.  The fit and finish of the Arendal sub is better, the cheaper SVS sub has an iPhone app, but sound quality and output wise, the Arendal was preferred.  Again.. it’s a personal preference.  He has mentioned to me that once his budget allows, he’s upgrading to Arendal.

Agreed… these boxes will not be as easy to return as a pair of shoes, but that’s what friends are for.. invite them over, feed them, provide some beer, let them listen and I’m sure they will be happy to help you with moving things around or if needed, to help you ship it back for a refund.  Personally… I think you’ll keep it, but I’m obviously biased as I own two Arendal subs.  Below is my original post within the community and some of my feedback on the 1961 speakers in my setup… keep us posted as to your decision… either way…. enjoy the journey!

Small Home Theater – 1723 Monitor S vs 1961

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Deyan.

Luis already gave a great response, but I just wanted to add one thing.

The subwoofer position is key for good sound. No room correction in the world can fix bad placements.
I would always choose the smaller subwoofer if I can be more flexible with the position, rather than having the bigger sub and being limited to one location.

I have around 24m² and the 1961 Subwoofer 1S is more than plenty. I also prefer the more understated and precise sound of a sealed subwoofer.
Definitely, something to think about.

If you prefer a more spectacular earth-shaking sound, the 1961 Subwoofer 1V will have the edge.

Especially with subwoofers, it is recommended to test in your own room, as it will have the biggest impact on the sound.
Our 60-day audition period is there for a reason:)

Deyan
Community Member

Thank you both for your helpful responses.

Luis, your room is truly a haven for any audio enthusiast. I had the pleasure of glimpsing it when I browsed the forum and ambassadors page last week.

Yesterday, I dabbled with REW room simulations, though I must admit, I’m no expert when it comes to frequency response and room modes. But I wanted to share my findings nonetheless.

Let me describe my room, which is far from ideal. There’s this old, immovable, massive wardrobe and a bed taking up space. Fortunately, I don’t have to worry about the WAF. Back in 2020, I actually expected to have moved out by now, hence the delayed acquisition of a subwoofer. But it’s time to press on and make it happen.

I ran the simulations with the 1s subwoofer in mind, but in the room rendering, it appears as a mock-up of the 1v. For the sealed sub, I’ve identified three potential positions: 1) squeezed into the front left corner (a tight fit), 2) along the left-hand wall towards the front, and 3) along the left-hand wall towards the back.

I’ve attached the REW room simulation images for these three positions. As far as I understand, we aim for a flat response. Positions 1) and 2) are quite similar and seem to be the best options to me. There’s a spike just before 40Hz, but at least the dip between 20Hz and 30Hz is not present.

Personally, I’m inclined to place the sub in position 2, which can accommodate the 1v—the big boy. But I’m still undecided.

I’d also appreciate confirmation regarding my understanding of room modes. Those spikes and dips (or nulls) represent the infamous room modes, correct? And these room modes can be corrected using equalization, either through a dedicated device or, in the case of Arendal subs, through the built-in EQs in the plate amp. The 1961 offers a 3-band EQ, allowing each band to address a specific room mode. However, in order to make precise adjustments, one must measure the exact frequency of each room mode, which requires a special microphone. Unfortunately, the microphone that came with my Denon won’t suffice. So, I won’t be able to fine-tune the sub in that regard. How crucial is this? By the way, does the paid Audyssey app offer any benefits in this context? My Denon AVR-X2700h has MultEQ XT, the lighter version.

On a slightly different note, I have some concerns about placing the AVR on top of the sub. Is that okay? What worries me more is the proximity of the sub to my desktop PC with its vast media library. I’m wondering about the potential vibrations and magnetic interference if they’re too close. I suppose only time will tell.

Well, I haven’t made a final decision on which sub to choose yet, but one thing’s for certain—a sub from the renowned city of Arendal will soon grace my humble abode. And slowly but surely, I’m becoming a home theater nerd.

I eagerly await your responses. Cheers!

Attachments:
arkmann

Deyan my only concern about placing the AVR on top of the sub would be if it’s secure.  Wouldn’t want it to fall off or get damaged in any way.  There can be a lot of vibration depending on the sub and how hard it’s running.  Let us know what you decide to do.  Nothing wrong with being a home theater nerd.  Best of luck and enjoy your musical journey!

Deyan
Community Member

Thank you for your response, Arkmann.

I’m still contemplating my decision, but I’m leaning towards the sealed sub and simply placing it in the corner without much fuss. Surprisingly, my modest Dali Oberon 5s manage to produce quite a punchy bass for music (especially considering my previous ownership of Logitech desktop speakers :D). So, I can only imagine the awe-inspiring experience a dedicated sub of this caliber will provide. At the moment, I’m keeping an eye on the Outlet section, hoping to stumble upon a 1961 sub.

The excitement of anticipating something wonderful is truly remarkable, isn’t it? For me, the joy of looking forward to what’s coming is almost as delightful as the actual experience itself. That’s why I’m in no rush to make a decision at this moment.

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Deyan,

You are on the right track regarding the room modes, but keep in mind that the REW simulation does not account for any furniture and different properties of walls, floors, and ceilings.

The best way would be to get an inexpensive microphone like the miniDSP UMIK-1 and try different positions. This will give you the clarity you are looking for. Audyssey cannot do that. The paid upgrade is good for when you want to make tweaks. Audyssey also does a good job with room modes, but it can be hit or miss. It sometimes tries to fill in dips, which you do not want to do.

Good placement also means you do not need to EQ that much, so it is definitely worth it to spend some time on it.

Deyan
Community Member

No more waiting! I just stumbled upon a 1723 1s in the outlet with a tempting 10% discount, and I couldn’t resist grabbing it. Unfortunately, it’s in white, but when you’re a beggar, you can’t afford to be picky. And what a beggar I am—this is the most I’ve ever splurged on a single piece of entertainment equipment in my entire life! But hey, sometimes you have to treat yourself, right? 😄 Now I must keep my conscience in check, while awaiting the arrival of the subwoofer. The anticipation is both exciting and nerve-wracking, as I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Lukas
Customer Support

Congratulations, Deyan.

You won’t be disappointed.

As mentioned before, just invest the time in proper placement and you will love it:)

Luis

Congrats Deyan!   Once you have some time with the sub, please circle back and provide some feedback.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club