Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Sensitivity matching

Sensitivity matching

carlos-rafael-belizon-ibanez
Community Member

I was planning on increasingly grow my home theater (I started with the 1723 towers and center), but provided the room I have for the surrounds, I was planning on adding the 1961 but what it’s making me not to be sure about this is the huge discrepancy between the sensitivity of my L/C/R with the surrounds a deficit of 8db between front and rears and knowing that for matching the levels I would need at least three times the amp power for the rears it’s making me wondering whether or not this is a smart move.

All replies (4)

Palmspar
Community Member

When your towers need 2 watt the surrounds need 16 watt indeed, and the system plays at 95db@1 meter its already verry loud.

Every normal avr can handle that load easy.

THX referentie volume is 85db avarage at the listening position, how loud do you watch movies?

0db volume on most avrs is 79.5db average, if you set the volume on +5.5 its thx level and extreme loud.

Lukas
Customer Support

In addition to what Jürgen said, the Surround channels barely get any high dynamic range content, so you will most likely use less power for the surrounds than for the fronts. No need to worry there. We have lots of customers with that configuration.

Thomas Gunvaldsen
Customer Support

To add to it, you will in most scenario’s be seated closer to the surrounds than the front stage. For each doubling of distance, you lose about 6dB of efficiency. 1m to 2m down 6dB, 2m to 4m another 6dB lost etc.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club