Homepage / Community / Technical questions / 1961 1s – real world in room frequency response…

1961 1s – real world in room frequency response…

Sam Mallabar
Community Member

Hi, Arendal Community.

I personally have two 1961 1s’s.

I’m wondering if any of you would be willing to share your in room frequency response charts for 1961 1s subwoofers…

As I understand it: Sealed subs generally benefit the most from room gain [which ideally would add performance to the anechoic expected results, assuming no room mode issues, and well placed].

I am curious: With well positioned subs, what sort of ‘real world’ gain is kinda par for the course? [+4db, +8db, +12db???]

Also, curious: How 2 1961 1s’s stack up in the real world…
As I understand it, generally, sealed subs kinda sum to a greater output than a single sub.
How much though [in reality]?… +2db, +4db, +6db???

I understand no 2 rooms will behave the same. I am just curious to see frequency response charts from real rooms, from people with the same gear as me, to see if I have room for improvement/ optimization, and to find out:
A] What kinda room gain is ‘normal’.
B] How do multiple subs sum, in a real room.

Thanks for your time guys – well appreciated.

– Sam

All replies (5)

Fernando Ayllón
Community Member

I think this is a great idea so there you have it:

The orange curve 2x Subs in the front of the room, underneath the fronts (more or less). This is after level matching, alignment,  and EQ with miniDSP and before Audyssey:

Attachments:
Palmspar
Community Member

2 subs in diferent locations in the room play 3db louder, and 2 subs stacked have 6db more output.

Dual opposed subwoofers are sort of stacked subs and have also many benefits.

A small room has more roomgain but i also have no idea how much it wil be.

Kristoffer Svendsen
Customer Support

Hello! Here is my bass response from the 1961 sub 1s. By no means perfect, but considering it’s my desktop/office setup without any processing, it’s more than I could ever ask for and it sounds awesome!

Attachments:
Fernando Ayllón
Community Member

Forgot to mention I am running 2x 1961s 1S.

Kristoffer, I will consider that a damn good response considering is coming from a single unit! Besides, playing around with the internal pEQ will tame that (30Hz?) bump further for a more uniform response … unless you like that nice sloping curve  :)

Kristoffer Svendsen
Customer Support

Hello Fernando,

Thank you! Yes, taming that bump/slope by adding a filter 30Hz (the peak is at 20Hz) will definitely make it smoother. I prefer a slight upward slope, but the current slope is a little too excessive for my taste. I’ll post my results once I have time to tinker with it!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club