Homepage / Community / Technical questions / amplification 1961

amplification 1961

Ramón T.
Hero

I recently bought 2 1961 bookshelf speakers and a couple of 1961 Atmos speakers, the bookshelf arrived and I knew they were going to be hard due to their 84dbs so I tried them with a 60w Nad 326 but they don’t perform well, I tried a stage Cambridge 200w and they sound very different, although they need to be run in.
The rest of the team amplified it with ATI but here in Spain it is practically twice as expensive as in the USA, can you recommend any alternative amplification for the 1961? thank you

All replies (3)

Jules Jeanselme
Customer Support

Hello Ramon,

The 1961 bookshelves can indeed require quite a bit of power depending on how loud you listen, how big is your room and how far are you from the speakers.

If you could answer these questions, I could give you my suggestions regarding an amplifier.

Ramón T.
Hero

Jule, I am going to use these speakers as Atmos, I am going to mount 6 on the ceiling, not on the walls, the ceiling is sound-absorbing and the front pair will be 2 meters from me, like the rear one, the central ones will be above logically in this configuration.
The question is not how loud you will hear it, but whether the amplifier controls the speaker well. For now I will use an old Rotel 985, but in the medium term I plan to change it for something better.

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Ramon,

The Rotel 985 is a good amp (5x150W) as long as it works fine and has been serviced, I do not think you need to change it.
It will be more than capable of driving the 1961 Bookshelf and Height for Atmos duties. Those channels do not see much output anyway.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club