Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Center Channel Height: How vertically off-axis can you be before a tilt is recommended?

Center Channel Height: How vertically off-axis can you be before a tilt is recommended?

chris-lukowski
Community Member

I’ve seen a few sample photos where the 1723 Center is laid flat without any kind of tilt. While they do make tilting stands like the IsoAcoustics Aperta 300, they add considerable height to an already tall speaker (in this case adding another 3.5″ with the tilt engaged). Based on your experience, how many degrees off-axis can you be vertically before there is an audible difference and/or dialogue intelligibility takes a hit?

For example, if one sits 10 feet back and I place the center on a 22″ console, the acoustic center would be 27″ high, 11″ below MLP ear height for an angle of about 5°. Would a tilt mechanism make any sense here?

All replies (1)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Chris,

Due to the MTM design, the listening window up and down is much higher than left and right. 5 degrees basically is no difference in sound. It is more a personal preference as with the toe-in on your main speakers.
I personally like having the speakers pointing directly at me for the most direct sound.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club