Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Speaker suggestions for my room, 1723 vs 1723s towers for LR based on room dimensions

Speaker suggestions for my room, 1723 vs 1723s towers for LR based on room dimensions

Jayant Reddy
Community Member

Hi all, I have a newly constructed home theater room, dimensions are 12ft (3.6m) wide x 22ft (6.7) deep x 8ft 4 inches high (2.5m). Please see the attached pictures for reference. As you can see, there is a riser at the back of the room for the 2nd row, riser height is 12 inches high from the floor level.

I am interested in 1723 speakers for the LCR, and probably 1961 for the surround and rear surrounds. I am not doing atmos at the moment but will probably add in the future (wiring is present for atoms). The questions I have are whether the 1723 tower is too large vs whether I should go for the 1723s towers. My main concern in regards to this is placement of the towers as there is somewhat limited space in the front left corner due to the entrance doorway. The distance from the front left corner of the room to the doorway is 18.5 inches (0.47m). This will leave very limited space to separate the tower from the walls. On the other hand, if I can get away with the full size towers, and there won’t be too much of a disadvantage with placing them that close the the wall, I would like to get the full size towers. I am willing to intrude a little bit into the doorway path if that will make a difference, lets say 2-3 inches. Additionally the speakers will be toed in a bit so I’m sure that will help with spacing. Thanks

Attachments:

All replies (7)

Adam J
Hero

I think the 1723 S Towers would be more than enough. I have the same size room and went with the 1723 Monitor S as the subs will handle most of the bass.  I believe the recommendation from Arendal is 12 inches from the wall for a ported speaker and no minimum distance for sealed. So you could plug the ports if you feel the speakers would stick out too much.

Christopher Riebel
Community Member

Can’t contribute anything useful, unfortunately. But your room is going to be really cool. It will definitely be a pleasure to watch a film there.

Almost a little jealous ;)

arkmann

Looks like a great room.  I started with the 1723S towers and then upgraded to the 1723 towers.  Suggest starting with the 1723S towers.  If it fits your space and you like the sound you’re all set and you’ve saved some money.  If you need more you can return and get the 1723 towers.  Not sure where you are but it’s no charge to return the speakers in the US.  Let us know what you decide to do.  Good luck!

Luis

Looks like a great room… if you plan on listening to music without subs, then go for towers; otherwise, in my humble opinion, there is no reason to spend the extra money as the monitors would be more than enough for that sized room.  My current room is 10’11 by 15’7 with 10′ ceilings and I feel that my all 1961 setup is more than enough for my listening habits.  In my previous room, I had large DIY monitors sitting on top of DIY 18″ subs… it was great to demo them as they played extremely loud without strain; however, in all honesty, they were overkill.

Attachments:
Jayant Reddy
Community Member

Thank you all for your input, I think I will go for 1723s monitors as I’m getting subwoofers anyways and monitors will allow for much more flexible placement.

Luis

Awesome… either way you decide, please keep us posted once you have them in your room.  Looking forward to additional photos of the room once complete.

arkmann

Sounds like a plan.  Looking forward to the pictures of your final setup!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club