Homepage / Community / Technical questions / THX What does/did it mean for you?

THX What does/did it mean for you?

brian-w
Community Member

I tried to search, so I hope this is not an all together duplicate conversation. THX is not “free” and it does have specific meaning/s. The conversation is what did it mean for you? Did it help your decision? Perhaps guide you to Arendal in the first place? Did it impact your perception (pre audition/listen) of the speaker for music or movies? Did Ultra vs Dominus vs Select matter in your search process? I suppose my tech question in the conversation is: why are the 1723 towers not Dominus rated? I own the 1723, love them! My room is larger, really just outside the Ultra room size category and into Dominus. So, my room size and the tower sensitivity with power handling is part of what drove me to buy/try the largest speakers from Arendal. What are your thoughts on the overall topic?

All replies (21)

arkmann

THX meant for me that the speakers had been tested with defined criteria (would be great to know exactly it is) and found to meet predefined standards for sound quality.  It’s a nice to have but not as important as the free in home test to confirm they sound great in my listening room since my focus is on 2 channel music.  The only Dominus rating I saw was for Perlisten.  They are supposed to be top notch speakers based on reviews but too expensive for me.  THX reminds me of the awesome sound effect that was matched to the onscreen logo that was shown before THX-sound movies when it was first rolled out in theaters years ago.  Love the sound of my 1723 THX towers!

Lukas
Customer Support

Great topic Brian. We would love to hear your input on THX.

Is it really needed today, with published spinorama measurements and independent reviewers owning Klippel systems?

brian-w
Community Member

For me in my search, the THX rating was how I first discovered Arendal. I’m not sure how common my situation might be. I had a full Def Tech bp9060 set up that I had bought just a year or so before. I was familiar with Def Tech and their larger speakers had the atmos modules built in That I did not want to pay for, no bouncy house sound for my room. With my room being 20 ish x 30, these speakers struggled to provide an exciting movie and music experience. They make a fine product, but the use case needs to be right. Even after buying 2 additional subwoofers and setting the crossovers and tune, the mids and highs were very fatigued at moderate volumes and thin at lower listening levels. What was I expecting from 4 inch drivers??? Oops. Knowing that my space was larger than a living room or bedroom, I took a peak at THX. I saw another Mono brand that offered some THX speakers, however I was looking for a better quality speaker. This lead to Arendal, and some of the reviews that highlited not only the sound but also the speaker quality. It’s quite possible my homework would have lead to discover Arendal, but the THX cert certainly was the first contributor to my awareness based on my need to find a speaker that could fill a larger space comfortably. Overall for the casual shopper, I don’t know that THX is still relevant for Arendal specifically as the brand seems to have gained attention, critical for b direct to c. Especially given the online review space building out with opinions and measurements.  I was mostly researching the brand pre youtube reviews, however it was the online reviews that gave me the confidence to start messaging Arendal with questions before I purchased. Even today, the full size 1723 tower reviews are less common than the 1961 or 1723s. However, there are a couple!

Luis

THX… a very good topic to discuss.

I recall an invitation to a private screening of Star Wars within NYC.  I was a child, my father and I went to the show and at that time it appeared to provide a totally different cinema experience than what we received from other cinemas.  Maybe it was the hype of the movie, the private screening invite; however, I still recall that cinematic experience today.

Throughout the years THX has become a very confusing topic to me and at times appears to be more of a marketing gimmick than anything else as there is a price to pay to display that famous logo.   THX doesn’t mean to me what I used to and by no means does it influence my decision(s) on purchasing gear.

When I started researching speakers for my room, besides brands that can be found in local stores, I came across Arendal and Perlisten.  When I read and watched reviews about Perlisten, I was curious what THX Dominus Certification meant; however, by no means did Dominus nor THX for that matter sway me in any way.  However, to be 100% honest, once I read that Perlisten was sold by dealers only, I looked elsewhere as I knew that simply meant higher prices due to the required distribution network.  It didn’t matter to me what certifications, awards, reviews, etc. they received, I simply didn’t want to pay the dealer network tax.  On the other hand, Arendal’s warranty and generous in home trial caught my eye and after further research I found they had numerous positive reviews from home theater enthusiasts within various audio and home theater forums.  That is what helped sway my decision and the rest is obviously history as I am more than happy with my 1961 speakers.

brian-w
Community Member

Luis, that is awesome! I remember the THX theater experience as well. Great story and awesome thoughts. You brought me right back!

Luis

@Brian Willing thanks… I’m not 100% sure what truly influenced my entry into home theater or 2 channel audio, but I’ll never forget that screening.  On a side note, I wish my dad kept the tickets as it would have been an awesome piece to frame and display in my room; however, I at least have the fond memory of event.

Agreed… THX was all about the ultimate theater experience.  It was something to look forward to… today, I guess we simply expect to be blown away…

Luis

Although slightly off topic, it was very similar to the various iconic HBO Feature Presentation intros… after a long week of school or work, nothing better than sitting down with the family for an HBO feature presentation… I’ll never forget the excitement this intro produced throughout the house…

arkmann

Wow 40 year old flashback!  Takes me back to Family movie night!

Luis

@Arkmann glad it brought back fond memories for you as well!

neil-h
Community Member

Hi
<p style=”text-align: left;”>  The Ultra THX rating showed me that Arendal went the extra mile to be one of the few speakers manufacturers to achieve this rating. I personally don’t car about Ultra vs Dominus differences. Ultra achieves ear defining levels in a 3000 ft room. How many people have a room that size? Most people don’t own a whole house that size. Once I received my 1723 Monitors and listened to them, I’ve never thought about the Ultra THX rating until reading this post. It’s about quality of sound for me, not how loud can I play my system.</p>

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club