Homepage / Community / Technical questions / TriAxial Surround Mounting Height Clarification

TriAxial Surround Mounting Height Clarification

chris-lukowski
Community Member

Hi Everybody,

In Arendal’s speaker placement guide it says “TriAxial surround speakers should be ideally mounted 50-60cm above head height”. What exactly is the reference point on the surround that should be 50-60cm above one’s head? Top of speaker, tweeter center, middle of speaker, woofer center, bottom of speaker? For a speaker this tall this distinction makes a big difference.

All replies (3)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Chris,

The reference point will be its acoustical center so between the tweeter and midbass driver.
But as always we recommend experimenting with this as opinions will vary.
With the speakers above ear level, the sound will not be blocked by persons sitting next to the speaker.

Luis

@Chris Before I drilled into the walls, I experimented with height placement by using the boxes from my 1961 towers, books, etc. until I found what sounded best to my ears.  It wasn’t an elegant method nor the safest way to temporarily support the surround speakers, but in the end it worked out well.

Palmspar
Community Member

In my small room the 1961 surrounds are 30 cm above my head, it sound perfect for me.

In a larger room can higher be better i think.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club