Homepage / Community / Technical questions / 1723 2S, 1V, 2V or 2x 1S ?

1723 2S, 1V, 2V or 2x 1S ?

Anonymous
Community Member

I’m interested a new subwoofer config using the 1723 and would like to know more about what I should expect from each of these configurations in a 6x6x3m living room that opens up to additional space like kitchen and hallway. Would appreciate inputs and recommendations.

Some more info about my current setup:

– HSU VTF-3 HO sub (very old) – 20 Hz-150 Hz ± 1 dB, no CEA2010 data, which provides reasonable low frequency physical feeling/rumble for movies in my room, but the mid/low bass is not as precise and fast as I’d like for music (mix of classical, hip-hop, rock)

– B&W 702 S2 FCR – a configuration that pairs well with the capability of these would be nice

– Yamaha A8A – supports multiple sub and I can retune with YPAO RSC 3D for in-room optimization for simplicity. Rather not get into more complicated optimization like with REWS etc.

I don’t usually play at reference (kept it as ~-25-29db) but definitely want to occasionally dial up the rumble for movies and enjoy more precise mid/lower bass for music. From my research, it seems like for a larger lossy room with lower room gain, it is usually better to go with ported subwoofer (1V, 2V). 2V is a beast, slightly larger than ideal but can still fit. 2S gives great output above 30Hz. 2x 1S will have the benefit of even things out but I can only do an opposite corner placement which will require long cabling (or wireless) setup which is not ideal.

All replies (1)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi John.

It will always come down to preference. It is not like one solution will trump all others.

The vented subwoofers sound more spectacular and have much more output below 40Hz, where all the movie effects are. It is definitely extremely fun. In a larger room, you will have more headroom if you like to listen loud.

The sealed subs sound more understated and disappear into the room. They are a little more snappy and precise. With typical room gain, they play very low but with a more flat character. Some might say it is boring but correct.

For dual subwoofers to have all the benefits you need to be very flexible when it comes to position, as this will determine how well they play together. No room correction in the world can EQ bad placement.
So if you are limited, go with one big well-placed subwoofer.

In my room, I could never get one subwoofer to play right. Only with two subwoofers, I can get good bass that does not change when I move my head or position on the couch. I measured 40! different subwoofer locations and only two of them were good and created the response I was looking for. It was a lot of work and time, but the result is fantastic.
I use 2x 1723 Subwoofer 1S in a 25m² room as I always preferred to more precise and tight sound of sealed subs.

I hope this helps you with your decision. Maybe someone else can share their experiences.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club